File size becomes massive

General talk about editing, cheating, and deprotecting maps.

Moderator: Cheaters

DarkDeliverence
Newcomer

File size becomes massive

Post by DarkDeliverence »

Whenever I make changes to the war3map.j file and then insert it back into a map, the map gets bigger. I'm not sure why this is, so I tried extracting the war3map.j file, deleting it inside MPQ Editor, then inserting that same file back into the file. After I did that, the file size grew about 200 KB. I did this for about 6 or 7 times, and now the file size has grown to about 1500KB more than it previously was after I kept deleting and adding the same war3map.j file. Does anyone know how I can remove this extra space that it's taking up? I change some activators on certain maps fairly often and if I keep doing it this way, soon the map will be way too big.

Thanks in advance!
Bartimaeus
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Re: File size becomes massive

Post by Bartimaeus »

When you 'delete' a file, it's still actually there, just as if you were deleting a file in Windows. To empty the recycling bin of the MPQ, so to speak, you have to flush/compact the MPQ. You should be able to find it as one of the options in most MPQ editors.
DarkDeliverence
Newcomer

Post by DarkDeliverence »

Thanks! I have already tried doing that, but everytime I click Compact (Flush) MPQ Master stops working, and a box pops up saying "MPQ Master has stopped working"

Any ideas on how to avoid that? Thanks for helping!

Edit: This is the only map I've encountered so far that I have not been able to compact/flush, but I don't usually try to compact them.
owner123
Super Moderator

Post by owner123 »

Use Vexorian's Optimizer on it after hacking.