1337?

Talk about anything you want, but keep it within the rules, please.
Panda-Assassin
Title: Pandaren-Assassin

1337?

Post by Panda-Assassin »

Like 69, 666, 777 etc they all mean something, but what does 1337 mean? Just curious to know what it means. :D
"A unit of time is as precious as a unit of gold, but you cannot don't click me back one unit of time with one unit of gold."

Thanks for all the help Syre!
Syre
Forum Staff

Re: 1337?

Post by Syre »

Err..
A sub-language invented by the hacker culture during usenet days. Letters would be replaced with numbers to make it harder for non-hackers to search for conversations and pick up on what hackers were doing at the time. It got the name "1337" from the word "elite", which where what hackers were. Unfortunately, script-kiddies caught on, and completely missing the point of 1337, instead began to use it to write EVERYTHING, thinking it would earn them passage into the hacker culture. Little did they know that it actually required knowledge to become a hacker. Now it is openly mocked by the hacker community, making fun of the kids who still use it although it's more than 30 years past it's usefulness, instead replaced by 128 bit AES encryption and the like.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=1337
ReadySetGo
Title: ๑▬Stalker▬๑

Post by ReadySetGo »

[sarcasm] I am so elite that I dont need to type letters.... 1337. [/sarcasm]

Clan name: Warcraft III Edit (W3E) Image
Created: Friday 23rd October 2009 09:38:46 PM
Realm: BoredAussie

Panda-Assassin
Title: Pandaren-Assassin

Post by Panda-Assassin »

Thanks.
"A unit of time is as precious as a unit of gold, but you cannot don't click me back one unit of time with one unit of gold."

Thanks for all the help Syre!