Continuous Civ Wars

General discussion of Warcraft 3. Threads may may be posted here if they don't fit into the other sections.

Moderator: Cheaters

storyyeller

Continuous Civ Wars

Post by storyyeller »

Introduction
This is a mod I made of Civilization Wars. The basic idea is to make it feel more continuous or real time without affecting the balance of the game much. The main change

I made is to make income appear over time instead of every 30 seconds. (E.g, if your income is 309, you get 10.3 gold per second instead of 309 every 30 seconds).

Tech System
Since the income is distrivuted over time, I decided to make tech costs distributed over time as well to make it even out. In fact, I redesigned the whole tech system,

so it should be easier or more convienent to use now.
Under the new system, you can queue up to ten researches at a time. You can add a tech to the queue even if you don't meet the requirements yet, and it will

automatically start once you meet the requirements. The research costs are spread out over the time it takes to research. For example, Archery costs 125 and takes 45 seconds to

research, so instead of costing 125 upfront, it costs 2.78 gold per second for 45 seconds.

Other Changes
I also added lots of minor changes, mostly cosmetic.
For example
  • The tooltips on some wonders nad buildings where changed to hopefully make it easier to understand how they work.
  • Modes are now voted on by all players, instead of just the host choosing.
  • Lots of icons were changed to lower the amount of duplicate icons or make the icons more relevant to the thing they represent.
  • Multilevel markets and railstations can be deactivated
  • When you don't have enough resources to reactivate something, it will tell you whether you are missing food, gold, or materials, and how many you need, instead of

just a generic and unhelpful 'not enough food or gold to reactivate message'.
  • Materials can be bought and sold in any amount through chat commands.
  • A couple hotkey issues were fixed.
  • The endgame award system was redone, fixing numerous problems.
    The awards show after space victory as well as normal victory
    The Troop Comander award now accurately counts the number of troops you actually spawn, taking into account deactivated buildings and spawning wonders.
    The Wonder Crazy award now accureately counts the number of wonders you build. PReviously, some wonders such as LEonardo's Workshop, were not counted.
    The awards now handle ties fairly. For example, if two players both build one wonder each, under the old system, Red would always win. Now it is whoever built

theirs first.
    The awards were renamed
  • The armor reduction from Field Guns and Mortars works properly now.
  • Workers attacks were changed to seige damage to make it easier to kill buildings you accidently put in the wrong place. Although this isn't nearly as much of a

problem now that blocking is gone.
Screenshots
Voting on game mode
Spoiler:
The new tech queue
Spoiler:
The new reactivation message
Spoiler:
The -hastech command in action, one pf many new chat commands.
Spoiler:
So what do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by storyyeller on May 26th, 2009, 1:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
Risen
Forum Staff

Re: Continuous Civ Wars

Post by Risen »

I really liked that tech idea, Good job.
Wanna learn to hack maps? --> Guide
dawn
Newcomer

Post by dawn »

looks very nice, which ver did you take your idea from? the latest 2.18d? Or is it an older modified ver? It matters beacuse the latest civ got more wonders etc, then the earlier civs.
storyyeller

Post by storyyeller »

I took it from 2.18, and yes it has the new wonders in it, as well as everything else from 2.18.

I'm planning on updating it if the official 2.19 ever comes out.