DvD Ripper

Talk about anything you want, but keep it within the rules, please.

Do you want me to post DvD ripping software(does ipods) on the download section?

Yes! Please include a tutorial
74%
Yes! however, I dont need a tutorial
12%
NO! I dont Trust you - it could have viruses- ill just get my movies from itunes- If they ever come out.
8%
No. B/c I want Hollywood and Itunes to get their overr-rated paychecks.
6%

Total votes: 65

Dazer

Post by Dazer »

That tutorial is for macs and the other one, if you find it, is outdated about two/three versions.
HELLO
Whitebread73
Newcomer

Yeah make it

Post by Whitebread73 »

This is a good idea but some people are retards so they will keep asking how to do it even with the tutorial, xD
Dazer

Re: DvD Ripper

Post by Dazer »

Okay, I decided I will Write the tutorial after about two months of waiting >.<
HELLO
legendz411

Re:

Post by legendz411 »

Dekar wrote:...and i'm not linking to this page cause linking to illegal content is also illegal -.-

Thread Rez lvl 4 CAST!

what?!??!

LINKING to illegal content is forbidden in Germany?

What the ... is happening to Europe?
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

dunno why it was locked, i've unlocked it again!
Don't pm me with Warcraft questions, this is a forum so just make a post!
In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. -Robert Nozick
Pr0zaC
Title: Officialy Unofficial

Post by Pr0zaC »

Evil laws of germany.
Dazer

Post by Dazer »

I return from the dead.

HandBrak e For W indows Guide

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Welcome to my guide for converting a DVD to iPod format. This guide is meant to help even the
most computer-illiterate people to get a movie on their iPod, so the steps are written in simple
wording that most people can understand.
There are 3 sections in the process:
1. Getting the programs
2. Setting it up
3. Final notes
I promise you that all of this isn't nearly as difficult to do as it seems, and after 2 or 3 movies,
you will be able to do this all without having to consult this guide.
Getting the Programs
There are 2 programs that you will need to do this. One is HandBrake itself, and the other is
****. Both of these are free, and contain no viruses.
HandBrake 2.1
sr55
http://www.sr88.co.uk/verifyDownload.php?id=5
(This download requires a code that you need to input. The code is shown in an image above on
that same page. If the code doesn't work, simply refresh the page to get a new one.)
http://*****.com/
There are a couple of download links about 2/3 of the way down the page. All of these links
will get you to the correct program. You might have to restart your computer afterward.
Setting It Up
First, make sure that ***** is running. It runs in the lower right tray of your computer, and
should not have a window open like most programs do. What does **** do, you ask? It sits
quietly in the background and removes the encryption of a DVD disc as soon as you insert it
into your drive. However, it does NOT affect your disc at all, but rather harmlessly tricks your
computer into thinking that there is no copyright protection on the disc, allowing other
programs, such as HandBrake, access to the disc.
Anyway, to see if **** is running, there should be a yellow face in the lower right tray, or a
green smiley face if your DVD is already inserted. If the DVD is not already inserted, please
insert the DVD now, and the face will turn green after a few seconds, meaning that ***** is
ready. If **** is not running, open it from the Start Menu.
Now, open HandBrake. It should display a screen with its title and a logo for a few seconds
(called a splash screen), and then the actual program will show up. The main screen might look
daunting right away, but remember, you have this guide to walk you through it.
First, in the first section of the program, labeled “Source”, hit the button labeled “Browse”. In
this new little browse window, go to My Computer, and then select the drive which your disc is
in. Usually this is your D or E drive (but not always). In that drive, there should be a folder
called “VIDEO_TS”. Select that, and hit the “OK” button.
Next, hit the button labeled “Read Disc”. A message should come up, and you will hear your
DVD drive churning away as it reads the information on your DVD. Also, notice that a little
black windowed program has appeared on your Task Bar, the bar that runs across the bottom of
your screen. It appears minimized at first, but you can open it up if you want – i t doesn't matter
either way, just pay attention to it. When this little black window closes and disappears from
your task bar, the DVD has been read. On that message screen I just mentioned, hit the “OK”
button now, and a new window will open. In that new window, hit “View Data”. You will be
slammed with a bunch of weird looking data. Under the “Duration” column of that data, look for
the longest length. This length will be the length of your movie, so obviously make sure you
choose the correct one. Once you have found the correct row of information, look at the
information in that row under the “Aspect Ratio” column. Just remember this number, write it
down if you need to. Select that row of information, and hit “Select Title”. That window will
close, and you should now look back to the main window of HandBrake.
In the “Destination” section of HandBrake, hit the “Browse” button. Select where you want your
iPod formatted video to end up. It doesn't matter where you choose, but just make sure you
remember where you put it. Title the file as you wish, and then hit “Save”.
Under the option “Encoder”, select “H.264 (iPod)”. Leave the option “Audio Encoder” at its default
selection, which should be AAC. If it is not set at AAC, change it.
Now, remember I had you remember that number a few steps ago? Well, it should have been a
ratio, something like 1.33:1, 1.78:1, or 2.35:1. If the numbers are slightly off, just pick the
closest one. In the sections labeled “Width” and “Height”, fill out the data as follows:
For 1. 33:1: 320 x 240
For 1. 78:1: 368 x 208
For 2. 35:1: 384 x 160
Now, look at the bottom of the program, which is divided into 5 tabs. In the first tab, which is
called “Picture Settings”, leave everything as it is. In the second tab, which is called “Video
Settings”, you need to make a choice. Do you want to fix the iPod video to a certain size, such as
700 MB, to fit on a CD-R, or do you just want to set the video to a certain quality? If you want to
just use a certain quality (bitrate) and don't want to worry about filesize, fill in the “Video
BitRate” box with your desired bitrate (only write the number).
The newest version of HandBrake supports resolutions and bitrates much higher than previous
versions. Therefore, you have a much larger range of quality that you can choose for your
video. Therefore, my recommendations for bitrate choices may be much different than what you
want. However, I personally use a bitrate of 720-1000 kbps for live action video (films with real
actors), and a bitrate between 520-700 kbps for animated videos (such as cartoons). I know it
sounds weird to use a lower bitrate for animation, but because animations have many less color
variations than real film, you can use a lower bitrate. Of course, you can select any bitrate that
you want, but remember two things:
1. DO NOT go over 1500. A number over 1500 will work on your computer, but the video will
NOT play on your iPod.
2. The higher the bitrate, the better the quality of the video, but also the bigger the filesize. A
90 minute movie at a bitrate of 650 will be around 520 MB, while a 90 minute movie at a bitrate
of 1000 will be around 800 MB.
If you want to set your video at a certain filesize, write the desired number in MB (only the
number) in the “Output Filesize” box. If you want to fit your video to a 700 MB CD-R for
burning, I recommend choosing 690 to write in because it is good to give the program some
room to work with. When I use 690, I usually get a filesize between 685 MB and 695 MB.
Do not touch the “Video Quality” slider, the 4 checkboxes, or the “Video Framerate” box. The 4
checkboxes should NOT be checked.
Skip the “Audio Settings” tab and go right to the “Advanced Settings” tab. If you have a dual core
processor, change that 1 to a 2. This will make the conversion go MUCH faster. If you do not
have a dual core processor, or if you are not sure, just leave it at 1. It will be fine.
Final Notes
Finally, you are ready to start the conversion! Hit “Encode Video” at the bottom of the screen. A
message will come up, just hit “OK”. Now, just like in the step where the program read the DVD,
a little black window will show up, minimized to the task bar. Open it up so you can see it. At
the bottom of that window, it will say “Encoding: task 1 of 1”, and then some information. That
percentage is how far the conversion is done. Obviously, when that number has reached 100%,
your video is done. To check how much longer it will take to finish, look at the right side of that
information, where it will say “ETA” and then the remaining time in hours, minutes, and seconds.
01h34m22s means it will take 1 hour, 34 minutes, and 22 seconds to complete. This number
will be anywhere between 30 minutes and 4 hours to complete a movie, depending on the speed
of your computer, and the length of the movie.
When the percentage reaches 100%, wait for the black window to close, and then go to the folder
where you saved your video. It will be there, looking glorious. It should play in iTunes and
Quicktime, and also many other programs such as VLC (but NOT Windows Media Player). Most
importantly, it will play on your iPod. Drag this file into iTunes, update your iPod, and you will
be ready to watch a movie on the go!
Enjoy!
Last edited by Dazer on March 15th, 2008, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HELLO
tru_power22
Old Wrinkly Member
Title: Re-R-Re-Re-Remix

Post by tru_power22 »

WOW, congtatz dumb ass, dekar said he didn't want this, and now you bumping a really really old thread.....
Contact me on WC3 Killing_Spree22, I'm at US west!

To avoid being a noob read this: http://forum.wc3edit.net/everything-els ... t4579.html
This is the official site for team UKS, it's also my home page - http://www.TeamUks.tk

I AM DEAD, I WILL NO LONGER BE POSING HERE. BEEN FUN WITH YOU ALL.
Shamanno1
Forum Staff
Title: 11

Post by Shamanno1 »

Hmm if dekar didn't want why he unlocked the thread?
~Everything changes~
I have met people who have no dreams, who have simply accepted their fate to work, exist, and die. They are the most miserable people I have ever known.
Dazer

Post by Dazer »

Hm. trupower.

Ego issues?
HELLO