strings

General talk about editing, cheating, and deprotecting maps.

Moderator: Cheaters

Brogath

strings

Post by Brogath »

i have a little problem with my .wts file.

when i export the strings from wc3 into the war3map.wts file it gives me a nice 600k file of (mostly) useless strings.
the actiual strings that are interesting are not there and thus, i can't change them.

is it possible to read in the .j file (or perhaps elsewhere) which string is used where? if i can somehow 'make' my own .wts file by selecting the specific strings i want to change, my problems might be solved.

some assistance/thoughts/tips or other stuff regarding such a random way of editing strings would be appreciated.
i do not care if things are time consuming becasue i have the time (eventually)
Program design today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
-- Rich Cook
UndeadxAssassin
Grammar King
Title: Worst human for 4eva

Re: strings

Post by UndeadxAssassin »

Yes, there is a way to find out which string is used where in the .j file. If you open up a .j file and see it say "call DisplayTimedTextToForce( GetPlayersAll(), 19.00, "TRIGSTR_056" )" or something like that, it means in the .wts file, look for string #056 and that's what it is.

when i export the strings from wc3 into the war3map.wts file it gives me a nice 600k file of (mostly) useless strings.
the actiual strings that are interesting are not there and thus, i can't change them.

Could also be that they're not in the strings file and are in the JASS file itself.

When you see "call DisplayTextToForce( GetPlayersAll(), "...." )" it means that "...." will be shown to everyone. It's almost the same as the strings file, but it saves the trouble of putting it in that file :D.
(20:53:52) Bartimaeus: Thank you, Jen.
(20:53:56) Bartimaeus: Truly, you are wise.

(23:44:12) Bartimaeus: I was in pubic school until middle school...

Learn how to extract and read RAW Codes here!

Need help? Click here and ask your question!
Syre
Forum Staff

Post by Syre »

Lol, you beat me too it undead ;x Ah well, theres also this..i just compared to whats in the string file to the jass for a quest item.

In the string file.

Code: Select all

STRING 8439
{
Credits to AceHart for his Save/Load System

The save/load system is the same as most other maps.

-Save

Saving saves your characters class, current level & experience, the items your character is carrying, and how much gold and PvP points you have accumulated.

-Load xxxx

Loads your character along with everything that was saved.

*NOTE*

Once you save or load a hero you cannot repick, in that specific game.
}

And the jass file.

Code: Select all

call CreateQuestBJ(bj_QUESTTYPE_OPT_DISCOVERED,"Save/Load","TRIGSTR_8439","ReplaceableTextures\\CommandButtons\\BTNLoadDwarf.blp")
Brogath

Post by Brogath »

both were good methods that i will remember but it didn't helped me this time though.

i noticed that the editor placed everything that was custom in the .wts file, so i made a new map, exported all the blank files and placed those in the my other map so only the quests and extra data were custom.

now i got a perfect korean .wts file, exactly what i needed XD
Program design today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
-- Rich Cook
Syre
Forum Staff

Post by Syre »

I see, congrats and good luck translating. (Assuming thats what your gonna do with a korean map.)
Brogath

Post by Brogath »

Edit: it seems MPQ master no longer functions as it says it replaces the file i choose to add in the files but it no longer does. (nothing changes)

familiar problem anyone?
-- Rich Cook
GeorgeMots
Crusader

Post by GeorgeMots »

Brogath wrote:Edit: it seems MPQ master no longer functions as it says it replaces the file i choose to add in the files but it no longer does. (nothing changes)

familiar problem anyone?

Just delete the file, dont replace in the existing one. Then add it.
http://slowbro.org/
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;(。◕‿‿­­​­­­­­◕。)

Spoiler:
(03:36:55) xkiska: im too much of a dumbass to understand this
Brogath

Post by Brogath »

oddly, that does not help...

if i remove the file (i check in the editor, its really gone) and then add it using MPQ master, the older file (the incomplete) is somehow used instead of the new file.
if i import (that very same file) temporarely into the map using the editor itself, it shows all te correct values XD

seriously, i think i messed up some sort of buffer somewhere...
-- Rich Cook
GeorgeMots
Crusader

Post by GeorgeMots »

Brogath wrote:oddly, that does not help...

if i remove the file (i check in the editor, its really gone) and then add it using MPQ master, the older file (the incomplete) is somehow used instead of the new file.
if i import (that very same file) temporarely into the map using the editor itself, it shows all te correct values XD

seriously, i think i messed up some sort of buffer somewhere...

Use a different MPQ editor, there are a few alternatives in the tool section.
http://slowbro.org/
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯[;::;(。◕‿‿­­​­­­­­◕。)

Spoiler:
(03:36:55) xkiska: im too much of a dumbass to understand this
Brogath

Post by Brogath »

a different MPQ editor did not change it, i removed the file, remade the changes andsaved it under a new name. this worked...

however i have a different question:
i have a hero with certain abilites(spells), how do i make sure he knows each ability from the start (so that you do not have to learn it before you can use it).
-- Rich Cook