wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: VJass Tutorials
PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 1:58 pm 
Super Moderator

This isn't directly related so cheating, but it is important to understand JASS if you want to modify protected maps, or just understand what cheatpacks are doing. I didn't find any real tutorials on programming JASS, so I wrote some tutorials here on the basics of VJASS: http://www.learnvjass.com/index.html

Feedback is welcome!

Post subject: Re: VJass Tutorials
PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 10:11 pm 
Also Not an Admin, but closer than devoltz

Title: Just Another S.Mod
Nice tutorials. They look really simple which is good since most of users here don't understand the basics.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 5:33 am 
Newcomer

Title: sore looser
I appreciate that, thanks for sharing!

For those like me, who understands nothing but the veeery basics of c, its gonna be a great source of information.

On a side note, is there a diff between vJass and Jass?
Also, just out of curiosity, because since reforged Ive migrated from eurobattle, any particular reason to why theres a link to 1.28? Prolly because reforged is 30gb of pure nothingness.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 11:27 pm 
Super Moderator

Thanks :) and if there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask! Jass is a lot higher level of a language than C, so in general it should be easier to get started with.

VJass gives several things that standard JASS does not have. The most critical of these to me is the ability to declare a Struct with an initiator on it, in order to run something at Map Initiation. In order to get a piece of code to run at map start in standard JASS, it's a pain, I think you have to add the event in GUI first and then convert it L0L. It also gives the ability to communicate between script files better with a library, and to do some VERY basic object-oriented programming with structs.

Basically VJass requires the least context (as far as wc3 goes) to get started with. But once you understand it, you can program scripts into a .j file easily.

Patch 1.30.2+ broke coding related tools. It is recommended you program on either 1.30, 1.28, or 1.26.5. Version 1.28 is considered the final stable version of WC3 so it is best to use this when possible. If you want to make maps on Reforged, it is recommended to either use full GUI, or to program your script in 1.28 and then copy it over to Reforged.