wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Messed up fonts
PostPosted: December 25th, 2009, 6:16 am 
Forum Staff

Somethings gone really wrong with my fonts and i have no idea what caused it or how to fix it. Ive tried reinstalling all the default fonts, i used a registry repair to see if there were any font problems, i even used a system restore and its still not fixed..

Its quite strange..anyways it affects some pages more than others..this page seems fine and such but some pages, like google, is completely bolded on firefox. For internet explorer its italic..this icons of my programs, before the system restore, were half the size they are now..my setting for both browsers are normal, the registry fix didnt come up with any font errors and reinstalling fonts dident do anything either...Ive got absolutely no idea whats going on...

And its not just the one specific site thats messed up..almost every search is bolded no matter what provider...if anyone has any idea as to what i can do to fix this, please say so ;x. Its not really that much of a problem, as it is more of a major annoyance.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Messed up fonts
PostPosted: December 25th, 2009, 9:27 am 
Forum Staff

Sorry for the bump..gonna trash when done anyways..Ive figured out whats wrong...its just a complete pain in the ass..

It seems, that somehow my arial font, regular, no longer exists..So, i thought it would be a simple task by just downloading the ttf and replacing it..how wrong i was...It seems that it can only be taken from the windows disk by using the command prompts expand..soo i find out what file i need to take and how to do it and get ready to type in the command prompt..first of all i tried changing the directory to the disk, however it seems that the cd contains a invalid character and the prompt wont recgonize it. I explore the disk, copy it to my desktop, and try again...says its expanding..I restart..nothing.

So, i gave up that way and tried it by using msconfig's expand instead...well it seems that msconfig's expand recgonizes less chars than prompt does..and this time its the file that gets the error...however its in the extension so i cant really rename it...it seems that the only way i could get it to work, is to use the windows disk repair option..however that will probably remove most of my files...At least i know the problem now, however the solution seems to be getting increasingly harder to find...If anyone that has more knowledge about this stuff than me, which should be quite a few, help me out here? ;x

PostPosted: December 25th, 2009, 5:18 pm 
Forum Staff

Title: I Just Lost the Game
You should just be able to install the Arial font through the Control Panel..

Blizzard: Senethior459#1962
Discord: Kyle#7409
Steam: Spacekidkyle

PostPosted: December 25th, 2009, 7:13 pm 
Forum Staff

Arial.ttf? No..it seems that since its a default font for windows that it uses hidden files instead of a regular downloaded font. The file on the windows disk is Arial.TT_ and you have to use either the command prompt, or the msconfig to expand the file to the desired location..however as ive listed above..multiple reasons have prevented me from doing so or just dident work right...

At first i thought that you'd just have to replace it too, so i searched for a while to download the font but all i could come up with were pages to don't click me it for 30$+ or completely unrelevent material..not once did i find a link to just download it...but that could be because everything was completely bold..and i'd rather not read paragraph after paragraph looking for it..

PostPosted: December 26th, 2009, 1:45 am 
Forum Staff

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type the following command, and then click OK:
%windir%\fonts
3. On the File menu, click Install New Font.
4. In the Drives box, click the drive that contains the font that you want to add.

Note The floppy disk drive is typically drive A or drive B. The CD drive is typically drive D.
5. In the Folders box, click the folder that contains the font that you want to add, and then click OK.
6. In the List of fonts box, click the font that you want to add. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold the CTRL key while you select each font.
7. Click to select the Copy Fonts To Fonts Folder check box. The new font is saved in the Windows\Fonts folder.
8. Click OK.

Here's a copy of Arial, actually. You should be able to just install this: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/core ... rial32.exe
If any of the other TTF fonts are missing, here's a list: http://web.nickshanks.com/fonts/microso ... -web-fonts

PostPosted: December 26th, 2009, 4:51 pm 

Title: Assassin
urm. if this only affects firefox and internet explorer. Do the usual -> remove and reinstall and update.

If this is recent, check for a virus
If this needs to be fixed (it probably does) then just go to your fonts folder (senethior gave it above) wipe it, and ask for someone elses, then maybe restart the internet browser.

Try thinking what you did RIGHT BEFORE this happened?

PostPosted: December 26th, 2009, 5:35 pm 
Forum Staff

@Senethior - Thanks for the link, cause of the holidays im not at my home pc to try it out..will give the result when i get back.

@ilovepie - Ty for the advice but as ive said, the problem isiant just in my internet browers, thats just where it shows up most because of the set text. The problem is that part of the font no longer exists, so anything i view besides a picture, using the arial font turns out either bold or italic.
As ive said, i cant remember what caused this. I dident do anything out of the ordinary that day besides playing a few games and browsing the internet, neither of which i had to install anything that would mess up my fonts. And it isiant a virus, since the only thing that happened was my font got erased, nothing like having my pc slow down or mess up in any other way and ive gotten no change with the registry and dident have a result on my virus scan.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 6:24 pm 
Forum Staff

Just would like to update..Senethior, thank you so much for the find. I just got home, downloaded and installed the file. Within seconds everythings back to normal. Really dont know how it happened, but im definitely keeping this file around incase it ever happens again.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 9:06 pm 
Forum Staff

I figured it would work; it's one of the files that let us install the default Windows fonts (like Arial) in WINE, so programs display properly.