wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Planescape: Torment
PostPosted: September 27th, 2009, 12:52 am 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

So, today, I decided I wanted to beat Planescape: Torment, being a Black Isle fan and all, and never finished it. I start it up. Says I need a CD. I can't find my CD's, so I have to go get a mini-ISO. I find one, and restart it. O.K, starts up, but now there's some weird graphical glitches, (like my mouse graphic will stay after I move it), but I decide to create a game, anyways. Then, after the game starts, I note that the black fog surrounding areas I haven't been to are rather sharp and unpleasant to look at. But that's O.K. Then I try to loot a table. When I bring my cursor over any part of any inventory graphic, it's MASSIVEEE LAG. I try the debug via options. Bad idea; my character's graphic covers the entirety of the screen, even when I open up the game again.

I start googling for graphic errors for Planescape: Torment. Apparently, some video cards have problems with the Infinity engine, and you have to disable Hardware Acceleration for it to work. I turn off Hardware Acceleration, restart my computer, and then my computer gets to the, "Windows is starting up...", but fails to get past that. I reboot. I reboot. I reboot x 20, (literally). Eventually, after a few restarts, I get this error, "Error in overclocking! Please reset your settings." I'm like, "Er...I'm not overclocking...but reseting my settings sounds good." Unfortunately, there was, "Start in safe mode", or start with your last good settings. I try safe mode. Nothing.

Next, my sister comes downstairs, and notes my repeated restarts of my computer. She asks what's wrong, and I tell her. We turn it off and on, smashing keys until we get to the BIOS screen. She messes around with it a little. We see the temperature for my CPU is 138 F, so we save and exit. Nothing. We turn it back off. She notes the cable to my hard drive is loose, so she replugs it in, and various other things. Then she notices my heat sink. She stares at it for a few moments, and then asks me, "How in the world did you get this much dust on your heat sink?", and I'm like, "I dunno, what's a heat sink?", and then she spends about half an hour tearing it out of my computer, and getting about a pound of dust out of it. She also notes my silicon that helps electricity flow, (and keeps it glued on?), is completely dried out. We spend another half hour looking for a bottle of silicon, to no avail. So we just stick it back on.

Finally, we start it back up. It seems to not do anything, and the second she walks out of earshot, it gets where I can get to desktop.

...Apparently, I need to clean up my computer once in a while >_>

(edit) Oh yeah, I haven't tested whether PST works normally, now, either.

Post subject: Re: Planescape: Torment
PostPosted: September 27th, 2009, 1:25 am 
Forum Staff

Title: I Just Lost the Game
It's always good to clean the dust out of your system.

Aside from the problems you had, is it a good game? I've never heard of it.

Blizzard: Senethior459#1962
Discord: Kyle#7409
Steam: Spacekidkyle

Post subject: Re: Planescape: Torment
PostPosted: September 27th, 2009, 7:55 pm 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Senethior459 wrote:
It's always good to clean the dust out of your system.

Aside from the problems you had, is it a good game? I've never heard of it.

It's an old one. It was made by Black Isle, (the creator or Baldur's Gate and whatnot, which is one of my favorite games of all time; see my list of favorite games). It's not for anyone that can't appreciate how it works. People say Neverwinter Nights 2 is similar to Baldur's Gate and that it's the successor, but I think Neverwinter Nights 2 sucks in comparison. I don't know why.

Maybe I'll make another topic.