MPQ OVERRIDE RULES/LowQualityModels

General discussion of Warcraft 3. Threads may may be posted here if they don't fit into the other sections.

Moderator: Cheaters

Mr.Sexy

MPQ OVERRIDE RULES/LowQualityModels

Post by Mr.Sexy »

hey, i already know that in most cases you can overwrite mpq files, by importing them with same path, however some files cant be replaced by importing... i was wondering if there was/is a document somewhere, that defines what paths can/cant be overridden...
It would be sweet if this document itself could be over ridden if imported into a map...

Also i was wondering if there is a way to forcerefrence the lowquality mpq models ingame, aka change someones quality settings, or use the lowquality models for a single unit...
theese models are at war3.mpq/War3_Low.mpq/Units/ect/ect.mdx
i tried setting custom path to war3_low.mpq/thepath but its unsucessful

I would greatly apreciate the answers to either one of theese questions
"Computers, are the way of the future, the next step in darwinizm. I say just embrase it, and be proud, that man, was so ingenious, as to force itself into submission on the ladder of evolution, I mean what other species can say that."-Mr.Sexy
Senethior459
Forum Staff
Title: I Just Lost the Game

Re: MPQ OVERRIDE RULES/LowQualityModels

Post by Senethior459 »

Uh, when you want to replace a file in the MPQ, you just add the file, and choose Yes if it asks you if you want to overwrite. Nothing stops you from doing so, there's no document. If the MPQ is being used (if you're currently playing the map) then it's probably not going to let you, however. Or at the very least, you'll have a desync.

And isn't there an option for that ingame? Hit the Menu button or F10, choose Options, and probably under Graphics, or Gameplay, or something.
My Warcraft III Tool Collection
If you want to chat/game with me:
Blizzard: Senethior459#1962
Discord: Kyle#7409
Steam: Spacekidkyle
Mr.Sexy

Post by Mr.Sexy »

umm, i know replaceing a file wont harm, it dosnt cause dyscs if its only like replaceing a model..
the thing is there has to be a hiarchy, and sumthin in wc3 that defines it orelse it would just allow any imported resource to replace ANYTHING, which isnt the case, although world edit has a slightly diff heiarchy, for example if you replace the teamglow textures, it wont show teamglow in editor, but it will ingame... its because in world editor theese files override the mpq, but in wc3 they dont...
but what defines what can and cant be overridden..
i know if i replace the texture IN MY MPQ it does change it, but then the change isnt applied to everyone..., and it applys it to every game i play...

as for options, that works with model quality yea... but the thing is im trying to force the use of the low quality models ingame (even people with this set to high, should use the low models)
because alot of people are to dumb to just lower this, honestly its only a little difference, but the lag it reduces is quite a bit better, since theese units are half to 1/4 the polys
"Computers, are the way of the future, the next step in darwinizm. I say just embrase it, and be proud, that man, was so ingenious, as to force itself into submission on the ladder of evolution, I mean what other species can say that."-Mr.Sexy
Senethior459
Forum Staff

Post by Senethior459 »

I think I get what you're saying at the end. If you change it in your map, then it changes for you, but not everyone. You need to make sure that after you change it on your computer, they download that exact file from you. Otherwise, the change won't apply to them.
However, I'm having trouble understanding the first part of what you're saying. It's just a massive rambling run-on sentence with a lot of spelling errors, and I'm not sure what you meant by it.

I don't know if you can do what you're asking... But, why force them to lower the quality of their models? It seems like you're trying to reduce lag, but forcing low quality wouldn't. If they want high quality, their computers can deal with it. It won't affect you, or the other players. If their using high quality models does affect you, then either their computer sucks, or the map is really laggy to begin with. If it's the former, just tell them to change the level. The latter, then you should really treat the cause, not the symptoms. Make the map less laggy to begin with, and you won't need to force low quality.
Mr.Sexy

Post by Mr.Sexy »

Sorry i tend to do that :P

(this question is fairly advanced btw, i doubt to many people would have the knowledge)

Anyways..
According to my example, if i IMPORT the file to replace the team glow, it Works, but only in the world editor. (yes i saved, the game, i even used the "testgame" button)
My point is, that means somewhere in the warcraft 3 files, it orders the origional MPQ to not be overridden on certain aspects. (probably to prevent games from changeing things like the splash screen, or the big ice castlething in tft)

However they carelessly set it to dissable overwriteing of some more usefull files.(team glow in this case)

REQUEST:
A) instructions to find/edit this file.
B) a document that contains the full heiarchy list.

With:
A) i plan to Edit this heiarchy for ME on my computer, unless its possible to import this edited heiarchy and have it work, which i doubt :P
B) (not prefferable) i plan to view this heiarchy, so i can figure out what exactly i can/cant affect, without actually testing everything

The Second Question:
This question is somewhat related...

If you open war3modeleditor, go to windows/mpqbrowser
scroll down till you find; "War3_Low.MPQ"
To acess this through this program ull have to export it, (war3modeleditor cant view models that are compacted into 2 mpqs)

Open that mpq, and find Footman...

The REQUEST:
I would like to be able to Put this/these units into a game, without actually importing them into the map. Everyone already has theese models inside their mpq's, so logically why import them if theres a way to acess them without the extra filesize.

I am aware that if you go to OPTIONS, you can adjust the model quality. This edit is just for YOUR computer, and how YOU render the files
I wish for EVERYONE over battlenet to use theese models, in a particular map. (in an effort to reduce lag)
Most people online I asume use HIGH QUALITY settings, since for most games lag isnt an issue, but in some games it still is..

With Quality settings on Lowish, i get about 70 FPS, which means when other people are getting 10 fps, im still getting like 20... (and im not on the best comp ever)

I could IMPORT the models, however that would be a waste of space if there was another way to "link" to them, and with about 50 different types of units, this would be inefficient.
Senethior459
Forum Staff

Post by Senethior459 »

I don't know what the teamglow is, but I'm pretty sure the file that you're talking about doesn't exist. It uses the defaults because it doesn't realize that it can use another. If you want it to use imported files, you'll have to edit the object that you want to use custom models for, and tell it to use a different path for the model.
And you can change the splash screen, there's an option in the WE for it.

For your second question... I don't think you need to import those models into the map. Just open the objects, and change them to use the models in the low quality mpq, instead of the higher quality ones it has.
Mr.Sexy

Post by Mr.Sexy »

well that was alot of help :P (thx for tryin)
btw the team glows DO have paths, and here they are:
ReplaceableTextures\TeamGlow\TeamGlow00.blp
~
ReplaceableTextures\TeamGlow\TeamGlow11.blp
If i replaces those textures directly in the mpq it affects the teamglow, but not if i set their custom path to that in world editor?

Team glow, is basically hero glow, thats on each hero...

Q2
"For your second question... I don't think you need to import those models into the map. Just open the objects, and change them to use the models in the low quality mpq, instead of the higher quality ones it has."
About that, i tried all kindsa things and icant seem to find the right "path"
i tried (for example)
War3_Low.mpq/Units/Human/Footman/Footman.mdx
War3_Low.mpq/Units/Human/Footman/Footman_Low.mdx
Units/Human/Footman/Footman_Low.mdx
and a few other things.. but it treats the mpq inside the mpq as the base mpq ALSO, only overwriteing and defaulting to theese models if quality settings under options is set to low....
Mr.Sexy

Post by Mr.Sexy »

Bump, i have a feeling that the codeing behind theese is hidden in the war3.exe... XD
Senethior459
Forum Staff

Post by Senethior459 »

It's only been three days...

I don't know enough about the topic, but I'm not sure if it's possible to force lower quality models... I don't think it's anything enforced by WC3, just not an option.
Mr.Sexy

Post by Mr.Sexy »

Oh sry bout that, fergot that its 4 days? per bump on this site, anyways
if it wernt enforced by wc3, then how does it acess theese models when the quality setting is set to low?

the models are actually built into the mpq, and wc3 refrences them, although it is probably hardcoded somewhere in the program, rather than refrenced from a document in the mpq itself as to avoid confliction, and/or replacement of it... although i hope thats not the case :(

same goes for the mpq override rules, there probably in the program somewhere...

Here is an example map... NOTICE that the glow is fine and removed in worldeditor, but when you run/test the game the glow apears again....

I replaced the files though so it shouldnt...

NOTE i only added the file for red/blue/teal....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.