What to put on a new laptop?

Talk about anything you want, but keep it within the rules, please.
Black-Hole
Forum Fanatic

Re: What to put on a new laptop?

Post by Black-Hole »

It comes with windows doesn't it? So why do you care??? If its Vista than you are going to have windows 7 and theres nothing they can do about that.

And you got the warranty with the Company that made the Laptop so don't listen to your school screw them if there going to limit what you can do with your laptop. Lastly their Warranty they are talking about is not a warranty it is a Return Policy so don't worry about that.

Have you checked into making your own? Its a lot safer and more fun and usually cheaper.
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

How to build a laptop? I mean everything is on the board anyway.
Don't pm me with Warcraft questions, this is a forum so just make a post!
In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. -Robert Nozick
Black-Hole
Forum Fanatic

Post by Black-Hole »

Its not hard to make a laptop, its basically just like making a Desktop but you got less work room. The only hard part is getting the laptop case. Ive seen people use Desktop Components with Homemade attachments to fit into a laptop, but if you use Desktop components your battery life is super short, dell made a laptop with Desktop components for gaming before, it had World Of Warcraft Edition and 45 min Battery Life Fully Charged in the Power Saving setting in Windows... It was a Horrible idea by dell...

If you have never made a Laptop before i dont suggest trying it if you plan on Using it for school or something important, its more of a Project. A Desktop you can make in 10 to 25 min depending on your skills with creating Computer, but a laptop takes about an hour no matter what, but like i said before its alot cheaper more fun, and you know your computer. If you go a get a Dell you dont know anything about that computer unless you open it and explore, you know what i mean?

And herers a Small tratorial i found on making a Laptop... Its basicly the same as a Desktop with less space and smaller parts (and less possabilitys/power) http://teebob.blogspot.com/2009/07/how- ... aptop.html

And not everything is on the board, You can change the CPU, GPU, you can use a Solid state drive to save power and time, You can use a Normal Hard drive, You could even pull what dell did above and put a Full Size Graphics card in your laptop if you have a big enough case, but i strongly recommend against using Desktop Components.

Im going to be upgrading my laptops GPU soon, Its currently running a Nvidia 8400, Im thinking of putting one of those new Nvidia 280 M in it :p its one of the fastest GPUs for a Laptop ever made ROFL.
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

So where do you don't click me laptop cases, mainboards, gpus and batteries? The whole stuff is highly proprietary anyway, I don't get the advantage. I mean I had the problem with proprietary hardware with desktops already - I used to have a Shuttle barebone and the PSU (died two times) costs 140€.
Black-Hole
Forum Fanatic

Post by Black-Hole »

The GPU you can get directly from Nvidia, The HDs are Normal Hard Drives, but there alittle smaller Preaty easy to find if you do some research. (Mine is running faster than a Standard Desktop HD though, simple registry/bios changes) The CPU you can also get directly from Intel, You can also find them Rarly at Electronics Stores (Best don't click me sometimes (USA)) The chassis is alot harder to find, but google (there store) sells some.

Here check out this link. http://www.directron.com/laptopdiy.html
GPU
Processor
Chipset
Wireless cards (if needed)
SSD HD

Those will make a Gaming Laptop :P that has more power than you can imagine in a Laptop... No company has created a Laptop with that much speed yet, The SSD's are super fast, they don't lose data very often. The GPU is insanly fast for a laptop its not even funny. The CPU is a Quad Core (if you get the Quad version) And there are many different Chipsets. If you can find a company that creates a laptop thats Faster... (MOST company only use a Duel core CPU and they don't go past a Nvidia 9800m)

oh and i found this, Liquid cool your laptop ROFL... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/52563 ... ing-laptop

Ive edited this alot ROFL, and this one is not on the Subject, but dekar you should check out Nividia's Tesla Personal Super Computer
Hobbeskiller
Title: Formerly 1badbrotha

Post by Hobbeskiller »

Senethior459 wrote:Get a large flash drive or an external hard drive. I saw an 8GB for about $20 a few days ago. Install Ubuntu onto that, put all of your programs and stuff on it. Then you can boot into that. It won't void the warranty, because you're not installing it on the system, and you'll still have all the advantages of having Linux.
I have 3 CHEAP 1TB External Hardrives... I recommend looking into this unless u think 1TB is too big?
I got mine for $87 not including Shipping or Tax but $99 without Shipping or Tax for 1TB...
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

(21:00:07) UndeadxAssassin: Did you know if you type /quit (name) you can kick someone from chat?
(21:00:08) Nuuby is baned
(21:00:15) UndeadxAssassin:  /quit (name)
(21:00:20) UndeadxAssassin: You know..
(21:00:24) UndeadxAssassin: Banned has two ns in it.
(21:00:32) Hobbeskiller: LOL baned
(21:00:41) Nuuby: hobbes is prowh lurkah
(21:00:43) Nuuby: banned
(21:00:44) Nuuby: derp
(21:01:13) Nuuby: NO
(21:01:13) Nuuby: WAIT
(21:01:16) Nuuby: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
(21:01:27) UndeadxAssassin:  /quit Nuuby
(21:01:28) ChatBot: Nuuby has been logged out (Kicked).
(21:01:33) magicianx126: ???
(21:01:36) Hobbeskiller: LOL
(21:01:41) UndeadxAssassin: Anyone can do it!
(21:01:50) syle222: even me?
(21:01:55) UndeadxAssassin: Yes, try it
(21:01:56) ChatBot: syle222 logs out of the Chat.
(21:01:57) Hobbeskiller: yea
(21:02:00) Hobbeskiller: LOL
(21:02:05) ChatBot: magicianx126 logs out of the Chat.
(21:02:06) UndeadxAssassin: I am such a troll ;_;
(21:02:10) UndeadxAssassin: TWO
GeorgeMots wrote:No there isn't you are doing it wrong.
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

So you think I don't click me this Atom barebone and solder in the GPU NVIDIA ships me and the Intel Quadcore?
http://www.directron.com/oczdiy10n1us.html

And yeah "registry/bios changes" make your 2,5" laptop HDD faster than a 3,5" desktop one... for sure. Debian really needs a registry so I can do them man!

Are you a retard? - seriously!
You do realize that the GPU and chipset are highly proprietary and you can't simply plug them together like you want?
And that you can't tune a laptop HDD to spin faster using registry/BIOS settings? :thumbsdown:
Hobbeskiller
Title: Formerly 1badbrotha

Post by Hobbeskiller »

if your talking to me... I have no idea what u just said...
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

(21:00:07) UndeadxAssassin: Did you know if you type /quit (name) you can kick someone from chat?
(21:00:08) Nuuby is baned
(21:00:15) UndeadxAssassin:  /quit (name)
(21:00:20) UndeadxAssassin: You know..
(21:00:24) UndeadxAssassin: Banned has two ns in it.
(21:00:32) Hobbeskiller: LOL baned
(21:00:41) Nuuby: hobbes is prowh lurkah
(21:00:43) Nuuby: banned
(21:00:44) Nuuby: derp
(21:01:13) Nuuby: NO
(21:01:13) Nuuby: WAIT
(21:01:16) Nuuby: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
(21:01:27) UndeadxAssassin:  /quit Nuuby
(21:01:28) ChatBot: Nuuby has been logged out (Kicked).
(21:01:33) magicianx126: ???
(21:01:36) Hobbeskiller: LOL
(21:01:41) UndeadxAssassin: Anyone can do it!
(21:01:50) syle222: even me?
(21:01:55) UndeadxAssassin: Yes, try it
(21:01:56) ChatBot: syle222 logs out of the Chat.
(21:01:57) Hobbeskiller: yea
(21:02:00) Hobbeskiller: LOL
(21:02:05) ChatBot: magicianx126 logs out of the Chat.
(21:02:06) UndeadxAssassin: I am such a troll ;_;
(21:02:10) UndeadxAssassin: TWO
GeorgeMots wrote:No there isn't you are doing it wrong.
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

Surely not ;)
Was 100% directed to Black-Hole.
Black-Hole
Forum Fanatic

Post by Black-Hole »

I'm just proving that its do able and its easier than people think, You can prob find a better chassis than that if you do some research, i found that in 2 min searching google... Look through Ebay/the google store. And if im not mistaken the Intel Chipset is the Mobo. The barebones comes with a Mobo... i would try and find a Chassis without a Mobo if you wana a custom build.

Nvidia just showed me my future Phone... I am going to get this if the pricetag is less than 500$ rofl... http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobile_games_demos.html

Oh yes, i dont know if you realize this but the reason companys dont use SSD's HDs is because there REALLY EXPENSIVE!!! Usually 160$ (US) for a 32gig...(slowest one) there about 350$ for the fastest 32 GIG but they have 64 gig, 128gig, and i think theres a higher one also. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... e4fukifz_b