editing units in protected map [help please]

General talk about editing, cheating, and deprotecting maps.

Moderator: Cheaters

darkxion

editing units in protected map [help please]

Post by darkxion »

I was trying to go through a process someone told me to edit units in a protected map w/o deprotecting it, something like, extract war3map.w3u, import into a new map, edit units, export file, import back into original map.
I was trying to change the mana regen on some units. But when I do this, and I try to play the map, I get an error saying war3map.w3u is corrupt, and WC3 crashes.

What I did - I extracted war3.map.w3u from the target map.
I opened WE, created a new map, and imported war3map.w3u, and changed the path from custom (war3importedfiles or whatever) to just the filename.
I saved, closed the map, and reopened it, and than edited the units as I wanted, saved, closed the map, extracted war3map.w3u, and than used winmp3master to reinsert the edited war3map.w3u, and overwrote the old one, than closed the map, and tried to play it in WC3

If anyone knows how to do this correctly, I could really use some pointers, please =)
Xantan
Honorary wc3edit.net Traitor

Post by Xantan »

delete attributes and you'll be fine.
darkxion

Post by darkxion »

Sorry for the the trouble, I'm new to this and it's a little hazy still.

Do I delete the attributes file from the map i'm reinserting the war3map.w3u into, or from the new map i use to edit the units in?
Xantan

Post by Xantan »

just delete (attributes) doesn't matter when.
darkxion

Post by darkxion »

What I meant is, from which map I delete the (Attributes) file.
Since I'm working with a test map that I import the war3map.w3u into, to edit the unit, and the original map, which I am putting war3map.w3u back into, to try and change. I bet I'm going to feel pretty stupid once I get this right. :lol:

I think I might've gotten it right except all the names proper names of the units are blank or say default string =x, eep..
namespoofer
V.I.P.

Post by namespoofer »

Delete the attributes in the map your extracting + importing aka the map your editing
Doesn't Dekar make the world easier?

"I Wumbo. YOU Wumbo. He she me.. WUMbo. Wumbo; WumboING; WumBOLogy; the study of WUMBO. It's first grade, Spongebob!"
"I'm sorry I doubted your great wisdom Patrick!"

Catch me on Azeroth (U.S. East) - NameSpoofer
darkxion

Post by darkxion »

I see, I shall try it, thanks to both of you, for your help and patience with my newbieness =P
darkxion

Post by darkxion »

Thanks for your help, it worked. There's one small discrepancy though =x All the names/proper names were erased, everyone has a blank name or default string, there isn't any way to fix that, is there?
Xantan

Post by Xantan »

get a full listfile and recover object data.
darkxion

Post by darkxion »

Eep, I pm'd right when you replied...as for the listfile, I can't seem to get a full one, I used MPQ Recover, Brute Force, Deep Scanning, and still came out with some unknown files when I opened the map in mpqmaster with the said listfile, so that is a dead end I guess XD.
Last edited by darkxion on June 9th, 2007, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.