wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 5:21 pm 
Newcomer

There is an issue with a map that when players are playing both Reforged and Classic graphics in the same game, and someone walks over a bridge, the Classic players desynced and are disconnected. This is probably due to the bridge models being different. This crash is unavoidable as NPCs walk over bridges in this map. I was wondering if there is a quick tutorial on how I could make a quick fix version of this map just for now so players can play together. (As long as I can just delete the bridges and edit the terrain, this should be enough.)

I have used MPQ editors before.

I have already contacted the developer of this map and informed him of the issue and my diagnosis.

I have already asked him for permission to do this quick fix, and he gave the OK for people to edit his map so long as they give him credit.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2020, 1:09 am 
Super Moderator

Editing the terrain without deprotecting a map is possibly the most difficult thing you can do.
The terrain is in the war3map.w3e file. The spec is intimidating and I wouldn't want to try to edit that manually: https://github.com/stijnherfst/HiveWE/w ... 3e-Terrain

Removing the bridges shouldn't be too bad I think (war3map.doo or war3map.j). You could open up the war3map destructible or doodad files in the World Editor and modify the model on them quite easily. Have you tried any other bridge models? Maybe only some of them crash.

You could try deprotecting it and then creating a shell map with only the terrain changed, then re-import the other files into that map.
Or do the opposite and extract the .w3e and add it to a blank shell map of your own, change terrain, export it, and then reload it into the main game

PostPosted: February 9th, 2020, 4:27 am 
Newcomer

That's a really good point. The custom bridge models that are in the map do not crash the game. Maybe I can somehow make it work. Thanks for your input.