wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Google Chrome OS
PostPosted: November 27th, 2009, 11:14 am 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

An interesting read on Google's new OS.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... -computing

"For example, the presenters said Chrome OS netbooks wouldn't be allowed to use hard drives (Flash memory boots faster) and that Google would specify which Wi-Fi cards it would support."

The aim, says Pichai, is to make your PC work like a TV: you just turn it on and in a few seconds you can do what you want. In this case, it's assumed that what you want to do is check your email, use social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, look up maps, and so on. However, Chrome OS takes the idea even further than Android or Apple's iPhone by eliminating local applications. There won't be a Chrome OS app store, and Chrome OS netbooks won't run Android apps, because all the apps are online apps. Eliminating local apps means Google can strip out everything that isn't required to run the Chrome browser, so the final code should be smaller and faster. It also means Google can prevent users (and malware writers) from messing around with the operating system: if a single byte is changed, it can replace the whole thing.

Sounds like a complete waste. (edit) And if you look at the comments, then you can see quite a few agree with me, :P

I like the idea of having your OS stored online - but the rest of it is silly! If your OS is being stored online, why no hardrive? With it not it physically on your hardrive, you have no worries of being infected permanently, and if they can implement fast, online OS, then I don't see how they couldn't quarantine each file to its small area on a HD like Sandboxie.

P.S. Irony: I'm listening to a song called Chrome.

Post subject: Re: Google Chrome OS
PostPosted: November 27th, 2009, 1:57 pm 
Forum Staff

I currently have it on my usb and tried it. It seems quite stable for a pre-alpha at the moment. The boot takes 8 seconds on the released pre-alpha but apparently they have made it 4.5 secs on the version they are working on. The Wi-Fi isn't functional yet so you have to use Ethernet. The logon is done with your Google account so because of that you have to always have an Ethernet cable plugged in. Right away you are sent to the web browser (even though the entire thing is a web browser) and the internet browsing is actually really fast. In the "programs" area everything is either links to websites or what seems like scripts. Eventually you will be able to get more. You can add on chrome extensions and just seems like a fully functional chrome except for the windows. All new (intentional) pop-ups are either blocked by the pop-up blocker or opened in a new tab. This can be kind of annoying if you want to do something like meebo.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2009, 4:19 pm 
Forum Drunk

They recently announced to merge it with Android anyway - so it will have the store and tons of apps ;)

In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. -Robert Nozick

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 4:44 am 
Newcomer

Adblock doesn't work on google chrome, it only hides them - google did it for a reason.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 8:30 am 
Crusader

aznxnycxboi wrote:
Adblock doesn't work on google chrome, it only hides them - google did it for a reason.

Read the dated, you are a few months old..

Spoiler:
(03:36:55) xkiska: im too much of a dumbass to understand this

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]