United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My programming class.
PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 9:01 pm 
Super Moderator

It's so annoying..
I'm taking a class in Visual Basic.

We have essentially created the same program seven times now.
Good thing is I can now make one of these in about 5 minutes in case we need to make any more.

He also forces us to use his way of programming.. like using Me.Close instead of End (They do the exact same thing).

Anyways, that's just my rant.
;\

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 10:08 pm 
Forum Spammer

poor you o.o

opps o.o didnt mean to submit....

anyway o.o my comp apps 2 class was just like it...didnt lrn anything new =/

PostPosted: September 27th, 2011, 2:18 pm 

Title: Slacking
Now I rather to teach myself than to go to a stupid session. That's why self taught programmers are beast!

"As a young boy, I was taught in high school that hacking was cool. - Kevin Mitnick"

PostPosted: September 27th, 2011, 9:52 pm 
Super Moderator

Risugami wrote:
Now I rather to teach myself than to go to a stupid session. That's why self taught programmers are beast!

I know programming.

I'm forced to take this class to take the next programming class.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2011, 8:33 pm 
Forum Drunk

I really don't get why people bother with VisualBasic. I would recommend Java/C# for beginners, probably PHP as well. But what's the point of VB? I know it's said to be "easy", but it isn't used for professional projects and once you've learned it you usually don't feel like switching to something new and thus are stuck with it. Besides I hate stuff that isn't portable, but that's just me ;)

Concerning the indenting, isn't there a feature in your IDE to do that for you? I am using Qt Creator and Eclipse most of the time, but I have also worked with Visual Studio and Netbeans, they all supported that! And I'd totally have confronted your teacher about the "End"-thing. If you don't want her to hate you be like "Help me understand why I should avoid the other way...", but I usually just go out aggressive. There might be a valid reason I don't know, like it could be that Me.Close(); only quits the current thread while End(); always kills everything, idk. She might have a valid point, but make her explain stuff like that. Why does VB use "Me" anyway? XD Every other language has a "this"-pointer/reference.

I really can't stand people teaching shit. Like one day one of my professors called me up to write some C++ code at the whiteboard cause I wasn't paying attention and he thought it would be fun to bully me. (He didn't know I have been a software developer for several years) He was like "blah blah... make it pass a reference to some float... blah blah" and I was like "well, that's implicit - you out of all people should know that!". He told me it wasn't and told me shit about pointers and I told him he is mixing up pointers and references. He told me I should go back to my seat if I don't want to embarrass myself any further -> I showed him proof of pointers and references not being the same, which really must have been embarrassing for him. I hate ignorant people like him, stand up and crush them.

Throw them on the ground! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. -Robert Nozick

PostPosted: September 28th, 2011, 8:48 pm 
Super Moderator

Dekar wrote:
I really don't get why people bother with VisualBasic. I would recommend Java/C# for beginners, probably PHP as well. But what's the point of VB? I know it's said to be "easy", but it isn't used for professional projects and once you've learned it you usually don't feel like switching to something new and thus are stuck with it. Besides I hate stuff that isn't portable, but that's just me ;)

Concerning the indenting, isn't there a feature in your IDE to do that for you? I am using Qt Creator and Eclipse most of the time, but I have also worked with Visual Studio and Netbeans, they all supported that! And I'd totally have confronted your teacher about the "End"-thing. If you don't want her to hate you be like "Help me understand why I should avoid the other way...", but I usually just go out aggressive. There might be a valid reason I don't know, like it could be that Me.Close(); only quits the current thread while End(); always kills everything, idk. She might have a valid point, but make her explain stuff like that. Why does VB use "Me" anyway? XD Every other language has a "this"-pointer/reference.

I really can't stand people teaching shit. Like one day one of my professors called me up to write some C++ code at the whiteboard cause I wasn't paying attention and he thought it would be fun to bully me. (He didn't know I have been a software developer for several years) He was like "blah blah... make it pass a reference to some float... blah blah" and I was like "well, that's implicit - you out of all people should know that!". He told me it wasn't and told me shit about pointers and I told him he is mixing up pointers and references. He told me I should go back to my seat if I don't want to embarrass myself any further -> I showed him proof of pointers and references not being the same, which really must have been embarrassing for him. I hate ignorant people like him, stand up and crush them.

I don't really have a choice. VB.NET is a 10th grade class. I'm in 9th grade, so I'm pretty lucky I got in at all.
Java is an AP class, so I can't take it 'til I finish VB.NET. As much as I hate this class, I need to finish it to go on.

Yes, Me.Close() only closes the form. End ends everything.
this is something I hate about VB.
You have 2 forms. Form1, Form2. You hide form1 and show form2. User closes form2. Because Form1 is still active and it is the main form, the application keeps running, hidden from the user. If he runs your app 5 times, he will have 5 invisible apps running. >.>. I always used End() to get rid of the other forms. If you call End() on form2, it kills Form1 and Form2, unlike Me.Close(). Is ending everything bad, because I thought it was a good thing o_o.

I dunno why VB uses Me. It also doesn't allow forms to refer to themselves by name, like in form1's code you can't use form1.close.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2011, 11:28 pm 
Forum Drunk

I don't know, ask your teacher why she wants you to close just this one form and not end it all. Depends on the case I guess.
Code:
You can do this btw - and use as many spaces as you want to align stuff:
                      test12

But I got what you mean, pretty retarded. I usually really don't care how linebreaks and indention are used, whether brackets start at the end of the last line or the beginning of the next - etc. Formatting isn't that important in my opinion, working in a team forces you to adopt to several styles anyway.

Well, have fun I guess :P

PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 3:12 am 
Super Moderator

You should consider yourself lucky.
I want to study proffesional programing, we have a class about it in school, they learned C# and java, now they study html+javascript on how to build websites.
I asked a friend of mine to join her class the other day, I understood almost everything, although the syntax was different, but she couldn't figure out what to do, I told her the idea and she translated it to the syntax and yay me ;)

The only reason I am not in that class is cause I arrived to school late (by 2 months or so :D) and the class was full (not enough PC's) So I had to take literature class, but thats cool, as I am the only boy with 13 hotties ;)

I did study qBasic at 7th grade and it seemed to stupied (i remember the first time the teacher said I=I+1, I was like, ma'am, your dumb, I cannot be equal to I+1, its ilogical, but then I started to understand) It seems really dumb, but when you get to the end youll be like "o, so thats why we did it huh..."

If you want an example of what seems like a dumb way to teach, I can show you some vids on youtube, the university (or college? I dunno, in Israel there is only the university) of a java class, and it seemed to me like dumb lectures, and wtf is he talking about? why make eveyrthing so complex? Why make the extra space etc.. But after another lecture or 2 (a vid or 2) I started understanding he was guiding them on how to make a clean program that is easy to read, use and understand.

(02:24:09)
Code:
ChatBot: FatherSpace logs into the Chat.
(02:24:28) Lanaya: Gtfo ken.
(02:24:33) ChatBot: FatherSpace logs out of the Chat.
(02:24:40) Lanaya: Thought so. bitch.
(02:24:44) ChatBot: FatherSpace logs into the Chat.
(02:24:48) FatherSpace: Can I come back yet?
(02:24:51) Lanaya: What'd i say earlier.
(02:24:51) Lanaya: No.
(02:24:58) FatherSpace: Let's try this...
(02:25:01) ChatBot: Lanaya has been logged out (Kicked).
Code:

(14:33:51) 2Pac: Do you know what'S so funny?
(14:34:01) Lanaya: No, please show me.
(14:34:07) 2Pac: This.
(14:34:09) ChatBot: Lanaya has been logged out (Kicked).
(14:34:10) 2Pac:

Code:
(14:35:59) haxorico: No one will belive me if I say "I got this song from 2pac on MSN" lolz ^^
(14:36:02) Lanaya: lolz.
(14:36:16) 2Pac: I AIN'T DEAD FFS.
(14:36:26) 2Pac: I'm a living legend, y'now.
(14:37:17) haxorico: why is 2Pac a legend?
(14:37:28) Lanaya: He's the worse rapper evar.

Code:
(15:42:51) Lanaya: can i suck , . . .

Code:
(13:55:21) ChatBot: 2Pac rolls 1d100 and gets 1.
(13:55:21) ChatBot: haxorico rolls 1d2 and gets 2.
(13:55:27) haxorico: owned?

Code:
GeorgeMots: xplain what happens in SP. Why cant you save?
dast.-:i need play with 2 players

Code:
(21:53:08) (673237): plzplzplz, im sorry about before.
(21:53:26) FatherSpace: I'm sorry you were born.
(21:53:31) ChatBot: (673237) has been logged out (Kicked).

Code:
(10:08:02) Bartimaeus: you do know run I youtube channel for my favorite music, right?

PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 12:25 pm 
Forum Drunk

I totally agree that "i = i + 1;" is stupid, some languages use "i := i + 1" as their assignment operator instead which makes more sense. If you plan on studying computer science it won't really matter whether you had computer science classes in school or not. I didn't have any as well.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 11:45 pm 
Super Moderator

Yea, but if you gotta pick 2 classes, wont you pick a class that you are interested in?
I didn't take it hard and I keep soloing kinda. But still, it would have gotten be better I guess in writing "cleaner" and I wouldn't have to learn the extra literature. Plus its a hobby, so yay :D
Ive been trying to learn alone how to use C++ but besides noob calculators etc I can't manage anything. Not to mention I can't even understand how to use the bloody GUI...
But hey, it saves my time on homework ;)

(02:24:09)
Code:
ChatBot: FatherSpace logs into the Chat.
(02:24:28) Lanaya: Gtfo ken.
(02:24:33) ChatBot: FatherSpace logs out of the Chat.
(02:24:40) Lanaya: Thought so. bitch.
(02:24:44) ChatBot: FatherSpace logs into the Chat.
(02:24:48) FatherSpace: Can I come back yet?
(02:24:51) Lanaya: What'd i say earlier.
(02:24:51) Lanaya: No.
(02:24:58) FatherSpace: Let's try this...
(02:25:01) ChatBot: Lanaya has been logged out (Kicked).
Code:

(14:33:51) 2Pac: Do you know what'S so funny?
(14:34:01) Lanaya: No, please show me.
(14:34:07) 2Pac: This.
(14:34:09) ChatBot: Lanaya has been logged out (Kicked).
(14:34:10) 2Pac:

Code:
(14:35:59) haxorico: No one will belive me if I say "I got this song from 2pac on MSN" lolz ^^
(14:36:02) Lanaya: lolz.
(14:36:16) 2Pac: I AIN'T DEAD FFS.
(14:36:26) 2Pac: I'm a living legend, y'now.
(14:37:17) haxorico: why is 2Pac a legend?
(14:37:28) Lanaya: He's the worse rapper evar.

Code:
(15:42:51) Lanaya: can i suck , . . .

Code:
(13:55:21) ChatBot: 2Pac rolls 1d100 and gets 1.
(13:55:21) ChatBot: haxorico rolls 1d2 and gets 2.
(13:55:27) haxorico: owned?

Code:
GeorgeMots: xplain what happens in SP. Why cant you save?
dast.-:i need play with 2 players

Code:
(21:53:08) (673237): plzplzplz, im sorry about before.
(21:53:26) FatherSpace: I'm sorry you were born.
(21:53:31) ChatBot: (673237) has been logged out (Kicked).

Code:
(10:08:02) Bartimaeus: you do know run I youtube channel for my favorite music, right?