wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Updating software...
PostPosted: August 28th, 2013, 1:45 pm 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

This morning, I was alerted by some garbage Logitech auto-update software that I had a new update available for my keyboard. Now, I'm pretty sure I told it to never, ever bother me about updates, (because that's what I do for everything), but I decided: hey, what the heck, since it's already bothered me about it, I might as well...what's the worse it could do?

Right, well...installation complete, don't notice anything different...except wait, the "next" and "previous" buttons on my keyboard don't skip/go back 10 seconds on my music anymore like they used to if you hold them down for a moment, (instead of just pressing them normally, which causes them go to back/forward a track). I try restarting to see if that fixes it, but no dice, unfortunately. A new version that reduces functionality compared to an old version? Awesome. So I go find the previous version of the software and try to install it...it tells me I have a newer version, and therefore installation will be stopped. Allllrighty then, so I uninstall the current version...(which, of course, I discover later uninstalls my keyboard's profile and all my hotkeys, too. Neat.). Install that version, and it still does the same thing. I try restarting again...except I actually hit "sleep" by accident...but no big deal, right? WRONG.

At the point I hit sleep, I still had my headphones on, and as it's fully going into sleep mode or whatever, I hear a screech from my headphones that is definitely not normal. I tried powering my computer back up, but it appears to have fallen into a coma, as it simply won't, and the screech just keeps going on and on for like twenty seconds until I finally hit the power button on my power supply to make it bloody stop. Tentatively, I turn my power supply back on, and then hit the power button on my tower. I hear everything start to power on - alright, good! Except...nothing's actually happening on my monitor. Sigh. So I power off my computer, replug my DVI cable into the other port on my GPU and try starting it up again. Nope. Oh dear, this isn't looking good. I unplug every single thing except my power cable and my monitor's DVI cable and try booting it up again. Still not working. Finally, I unplug my RAM for no particularly good reason and try powering up again. Mysteriously, it actually works...but of course, I don't have any RAM, so I power it down again and reseat them. And again, magically, it works...but of course, because I unplugged my wireless keyboard, (or rather, its wireless dongle thingy), it won't work anymore when trying to tell Windows to recover my current session instead of starting up new, (no 30 second timer, unfortunately - I would've been fine either way). I grab my backup, wired keyboard and plug it in, but of course, it's still not recognizing it, so I reboot it. Windows finally boots back up with me being able to select what I want to do, the stupid keyboard thing still isn't working, so I go back another version, and now it's finally working liked it used to. Hurray.

There's two lessons to be learned here: never update anything ever, and...never put your computer into sleep mode, because it might slip into a coma and never wake up.

Post subject: Re: Updating software...
PostPosted: August 28th, 2013, 8:11 pm 
Shopping Maul USA Creator

Title: No Comment
Looks like you had a great day. How long did you have to play with it?

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 2:47 am 

Title: Mr. Pwn
This is my story that just happened. (I told Bartnab on chat)

In order to get a feel for what I end up saying, I'll first explain how I have my sound configured. I have surround sound speakers, but they won't connect directly to my desktop. So, I have my speakers hooked up to my tv. And the sound goes from my desktop through the HDMI cable to my tv. From the tv it goes to the speakers.

So anyway, the sound worked earlier this morning. I watched some tv (same speakers) and later tried to listen to some music from my desktop. Well, no sound. Wtf? Alright, so I restart the computer. Still nothing. Then I try restoring my computer. Ironically, there was a restore point from yesterday, so I did that. (SSD = computer restarts in 10 seconds, so why not try it) But I still had no sound. The next thing I did was reinstall my Video card driver (since it has my audio driver as well). However, that did nothing.

So, the next thing I did was unplug the speakers from the tv to see if the desktop was at least getting sound to the tv, and it was. So, I try plugging in a speaker to the desktop. Still no sound. Then I plug the speakers back into the tv, and voila. Sound.

So weird :x

Yea, try and beat me now.

Spoiler:
Quote:
(9:04:04 PM) lichtheman: Rawr. ^.^
(9:04:13 PM) George: gi
(9:04:25 PM) George: drujnk do nt dalk to me

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 3:19 am 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Vegas wrote:
Looks like you had a great day. How long did you have to play with it?

From the time I noticed my next/back buttons weren't working as they should to the time they were fixed, I'd say about an hour and a half. Not too bad, in all actuality, but what a waste of time.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2014, 4:48 am 
Grammar King

Title: Worst human for 4eva
Bump! Because I only now just read this.

You went through all of that trouble just for a "skip/back 10 seconds" feature?

(20:53:52) Bartimaeus: Thank you, Jen.
(20:53:56) Bartimaeus: Truly, you are wise.

Quote:
(23:44:12) Bartimaeus: I was in pubic school until middle school...

Learn how to extract and read RAW Codes here!

Need help? Click here and ask your question!

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2014, 2:01 pm 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Yes. It is really convenient for skipping crappy intros of songs (or other annoying bits), replaying a certain section, or...probably other things, without having to manually unhide my media player and screw around with the "how far you're in" slider thingy. I hate that thing.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2014, 12:50 am 
Grammar King

Title: Worst human for 4eva
And was it worth all of the trouble?

(20:53:52) Bartimaeus: Thank you, Jen.
(20:53:56) Bartimaeus: Truly, you are wise.

Quote:
(23:44:12) Bartimaeus: I was in pubic school until middle school...

Learn how to extract and read RAW Codes here!

Need help? Click here and ask your question!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 8:29 am 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Yes, because it's worked perfectly from then on and has been useful for almost a year since I fixed it. Worth it.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 1:15 pm 
Forum Drunk

Software sucks. Last time I updated my macbook it broke airplay. (Audio playback via WiFi)

In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. -Robert Nozick