wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently April 20th, 2024, 12:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 2:06 am 

Small Sized Duck wrote:
Network Virus? Try with someone elses computer, who hasn't connected to your modem before.

I don't know :(. // Yeah I tried my friend's, and his connection works just fine.

BringChaos2 wrote:
If your wireless isn't protected by WEP or WPS, then it should be. Protecting isn't hard, so if you need help you can just ask. Also, your cpu could be storing to many cookies which can make surfing the web extremely slow ; things such as pictures and videos take up a lot. I mean you can watch a full video on YouTube if it fully loads even if you have no internet connection. Even toolbars slow down your internet.

A free program like CCleaner is great at removing cookies, freeing up RAM, and even cleaning up what uninstalled programs leave behind. Online sites sometimes do what CCleaner does but with less access, since it wouldn't be smart to give a website full access of your computer.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

ADSL uses telephone wires correct? It uses information frequencies not used by a telephone call. Wether your connection uses a DSL filter or is a fiberoptic type of DSL I do not know. But the problem with DSL is when phone lines are being mostly used for calls and not cpu information making hard to reach the normal Internet Protocl Network

Bandwidth is a measurement of data in bites per second. It can also be in Hertz, but that is another type of bandwidth that has to do with frequencies. The peak transfer rate is written on routers and modems as adveristing (peak bit rate). It doesn't always mean it will actaully always work as fast as it says.

Sorry if I confused you or if this doesn't even help at all. And I agree with the guy above me, checking with over computers is a great way to see if it's the connection, computer, or the modem/router that is having the issue. A virus could cause this.

Thank you for the tips, I appreciate it. :) I have CCleaner on my computer, and I always use it but I don't see any good results from it. :(

Anyway, how do I check for network viruses? I have no idea. :o

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 6:22 pm 
Newcomer

Title: Belphegor
If it is your computer that is the problem then it might be your firewall setting, internet options. and/or any program actively scanning to block viruses, pop ups, spyware, ect..

As for a virus, a specific scanner would work fine.

You should also look at your process list in the windows task manager. Some processes are used more or less throughout. If you have set timers on your computer to run programs at certain times, for example automatic updates will occur at a certain time and day of the week for most computers. You should also check to see if any programs you don't need running or didn't mean to have running. You could cancel these to increase the performance of the other processes. Note: (Only cancel processes of installed programs the you can easly tell what they are, such as: war3.exe (warcraft3), iexplorer.exe (internetexplorer), ect.)

If you are only running internet explorer and you still have issues then you can set the priority level of windows explorer to increase the amount of 'attention' it receives from the processor(s), which would increase the speed of your internet. Chaning the priority can be dangerous to your computer as it may make your main proccesses/devices work slowly or improperly.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 6:30 pm 
Noob

Title: LSD.
Don't play with priorities of processes AT ALL. It seems to be a network virus, since your friend's computer can work fine while yours and your dad's is "slow". You could get anti virus protection such as eset or norton, or you could use hi-jack this and you'll be able to find the problem 95% of the time. (Finding the problem and removing them are two very different things).

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 1:01 am 
Newcomer

Unless Yeta's computers doesn't have protection, or they are both infected with the same highly complex virus that can't be easily detected, that don't automatically load during startup, which would always make the computer slow, which is highly unpropable; unless it was an infected program that was user installed to both cpus. But scanning can't hurt anything Spybot is a great microsoft program for scanning. I did say it was dangerous btw.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 5:16 am 

I have Kaspersky in my computer, but I don't see any viruses when I scanned my computer with it. But I will try the program both of you mentioned.

And one weird thing I aware is, when it's 00:00 in my country, yes EXACTLY 00:00, my computer speed will boost up. It's so weird, then after 12:00 (EXACTLY), the speed will slow down like turtle again. I tried changing my computer's time to 00:00, but still no result.

Once again, thanks BringChaos2 and SSD.

P.S Sorry for my bad English.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 4:25 pm 
Newcomer

So to be clear, you have tried your friend's computer at both these times connected to your modem and his/her computer didn't change speed at all?

Or did you try to connect to his/her connection and it worked fine on your computer?

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 5:24 pm 

My friend's modem, not mine. But we're neighbour.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 6:15 pm 

GG, the connection is even worst now. The connection speed of midnight is the same as afternoon, now. FML!

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 11:43 pm 
Newcomer

Maybe it is overheating. You can also try turning off your modem waiting 30 seconds and turning it back on to reset the connection.

What type of service does your friend have?

PostPosted: July 25th, 2010, 1:49 am 
Noob

Title: LSD.
xYeta wrote:
My friend's modem, not mine. But we're neighbour.

SO MAYBE YOU'RE GETTING A CRAPPY WIRELESS SIGNAL >_>