Dekar's new HTPC

Talk about anything you want, but keep it within the rules, please.
Bartimaeus
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Re: Dekar's new HTPC

Post by Bartimaeus »

I think mine hasn't broken because nobody in my houses really like consoles, and prefer computers.
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

I barely play with it anyway, but if I'd play more I would really need a new nice TV - Playing with my 88" is barely possible since you look around all the time and get shot. It was so hard to play GTA4 with it, every time I looked down at the map I crashed into things. Great for HD-movies, but really not for gaming - even in split-screen you can barely handle it.
Don't pm me with Warcraft questions, this is a forum so just make a post!

In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. -Robert Nozick
Black-Hole
Forum Fanatic

Post by Black-Hole »

Dekar... Check the D-Link Gaming Router, 200 US$ Automatically detects and Forwards all the ports for the games you play. When i connected my laptop it forwarded the ports for WC3, and now i can host wirelessly on my network :p My Xbox live is faster Wireless than it is wired (that was weird to me but whatever)

Basicly when you can host a WC3 game on a Wireless N network its Optimized for gaming. Also with the Gaming fuel, if im playing a Game and my Step dad wants to go on youtube and watch a 20 min video, its only going to give him about 50 to 100 KBPS max... (If that) and the rest goes to me :p

This is the router i got :p http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=643
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

Automatic port forwarding is retarded (Kills all the security of a firewall), you can set yourself to exposed host if you want that in the first place!
And QoS/traffic shaping isn't a new feature as well, my 5 year old linux based router can do the same - and even without retarded limit (50-100kbps). My Fritz!Box gives others all the unused speed left.
Spoiler:

Black-Hole
Forum Fanatic

Post by Black-Hole »

By automatic Port Forwarding i mean - The router has a Database of about 600 Online Games/Programs Warcraft 3, World of warcraft, Starcraft 1 and 2 are all in there. XBox Live, PSN, and acouple others are there also, you can also manually set up the Forwarding.

Thats the limit i set :P
Spoiler:
Ozzapoo
The Flying Cow!

Post by Ozzapoo »

Screw D-Link. Its routers keep disconnecting and its WLAN card failed after 2 weeks.
Visit Ozzapoo.net, my blog and the home of AutoCP and Cheatpack Detector!
AutoCP3 now available for free!
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

Doesn't look any useful to me, they just renamed standard options. My router probably costs a bit more than yours but it handles all the telephony and fax stuff. Does your router for example allow you to enforce fastpath? Mine does ;) http://dekar.wc3edit.net/2008/02/21/ena ... m-routers/

Black-Hole
Forum Fanatic

Post by Black-Hole »

Thats what Gaming Fuel is, and with Timewarner its not really needed though. They boost your speeds when your Downloading or using alot of Bandwidth.
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

Fastpath is different, it disables your lines error correction, and thus lowers your overall throughput a bit, but decreases your pings by 5-20ms as well. (the faster the line already is, the lower the gain)