wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 8:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unit ownership
PostPosted: April 25th, 2009, 2:49 am 

1. Is there any way to have a unit belong to player 1, but have player 2 be able to select the unit and view its abilities, but not issue orders? Sort of like a limited form of share control.

2. Suppose I want to have a 12 player map, but I also have extra units (the scenery). What is the best way to do this? Is there anyway to have units not owned by any player, like Neutral Hostile or something? Is there anything special I have to do in that case?

Post subject: Re: Unit ownership
PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 7:00 am 
Forum Staff

Title: Gui Expert
If you create neutral hostile units, they will attack both sides. However, if thats what your after yes, you can have basically more than 12 players.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 6:17 pm 

What if I want them to just sit there and not do anything?

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 8:21 pm 

Title: Sir Awesome
You could remove the attack capability, couldn't you? You may still attack them, but you could go around that.
You could also take away the neutral hostile's unit's ability to move.

Then you could make a region around the unit and have it be like
"Any unit that enters region (region around neutral hostile unit) -> (remove ability to attack)"
However that works. Then when they leave region they can attack again, and you wont kill the evil units and they wont kill you.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I tried.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 11:38 pm 

If I give it the locust ability, will that prevent it from moving and attacking too?

These unit's are mainly intended to just act as scenery and decoration, so it's not terribly important whether you can select them or not.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 3:30 am 
Forum Staff

No, locust ability just makes the units invulnerable and unselectable. They can still attack and move as they wish. If your just going to make units that are scenery why not just make them Neutral Passive? That way they wont attack anyone and nobody will be hostile towards them. And with a simple trigger, you can make it so that when a unit trys to attack them, that they stop beforehand, so you wont need to make them invulnerable.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 6:30 am 
The Flying Cow!

Giving a unit Locust will essentially render them useless, if you are intending for another player to control them. They will still be able to move, though. So it's best to just make them invulnerable and pause them. Or, if you really want them to be able to be clicked and abilities viewed, just make a trigger to order the unit to stop whenever it does something.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 9:44 pm 

If I do Neutral Passive, would they just sit there, or would they wander around?
Also, the players aren't supposed to be able to click on them. I think I'll just go with locust + no attacks enabled + 0 movement speed or something.

Ozzapoo wrote:
Or, if you really want them to be able to be clicked and abilities viewed, just make a trigger to order the unit to stop whenever it does something.

I assume you are talking about the first question here. The problem is that that wouldn't really work because it would also cancel the unit's previous orders as well.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2009, 1:01 am 
Forum Staff

If you make them neutral passive, they wont move around on their own, unless you give them the skill "Wander (Neutral)". To have scenery that would be the best bet. Make them neutral passive, and give them the Locust ability. If you do that, players wouldent be able to attack them, and neutral passive doesnt move own its own and wont attack anyone. And since locust makes them invulnerable, AOE skills wont damage em at all like they would without it. So you wouldent have to change a bunch of stats, and instead just add one ability.