It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: December 9th, 2011, 8:01 pm 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214389p1.html

and nobody besides Bart cared

PostPosted: December 9th, 2011, 11:10 pm 
Forum Drunk

I only played the original STALKER, but the franchise sucks!

The leak in 2003 pretty much looked the same as the game they released in 2007. I was expecting much from the game after reading all those interviews and previews, but in the end it didn't even have the cars they announced. So I was really disappointed from the final product.

STALKER sucks. Boiling Point was better! (Even had cars! But make sure to install the patches :/)
I really liked the Boiling Point theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2nEbR4d4Q

In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. -Robert Nozick

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 6:19 am 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is one of my favorite franchises simply because of the type of gameplay it fits into - story-driven, semi-nonlinear shooting with just a little bit of RPG aspects. And, unlike most other games that fit into this category, it has no skills or special abilities or whatever you want to call them. This is what I love about it. You are what you are and that's that. The only thing that changes is the type of gun you have, how good your armour is, and the condition of both and whether or not you need to repair or get new ones.

The story itself has always been rather weak, with the exception of SHoC where I thought it was at least halfway decent unlike its successors, the AI rather poor but not poor enough for me to hate it, and the characters annoying. I had no history of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. when it first came out - never even saw a video before my brother gave it to me and I started playing - so I just played it and took it for what it was, and I loved it.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 2:58 pm 
Forum Drunk

Bartimaeus wrote:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is one of my favorite franchises simply because of the type of gameplay it fits into - story-driven, semi-nonlinear shooting with just a little bit of RPG aspects. And, unlike most other games that fit into this category, it has no skills or special abilities or whatever you want to call them. This is what I love about it. You are what you are and that's that. The only thing that changes is the type of gun you have, how good your armour is, and the condition of both and whether or not you need to repair or get new ones.

The story itself has always been rather weak, with the exception of SHoC where I thought it was at least halfway decent unlike its successors, the AI rather poor but not poor enough for me to hate it, and the characters annoying. I had no history of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. when it first came out - never even saw a video before my brother gave it to me and I started playing - so I just played it and took it for what it was, and I loved it.

Your description pretty much fits for Boiling Point as well, give it a try. It's more open world than stalker and the world is much bigger. After a while you realize there was a lot copy paste though. It is also pretty imbalanced and sometimes shows weird physics bugs, but in the end it really made an impression. I guess my problem with STALKER was that Boiling Point released before STALKER did and had so many of the things STALKER was supposed to. The STALKER previews also promised a complex food system forcing you to balance pros and cons eating radiated food and dying from hunger. They even said you might have to resort to shooting down birds and eating those. (Was that even possible in the final game?) I don't really remember either food or radiation to be relevant in STALKER. You just had to use those radiation heal things once in a while and where good to go. In Boiling Point food wasn't too relevant as well, but I liked how they allowed you to shoot palms and collect the coconuts dropping or get drunk at the bar. It also actually allowed you to shoot down birds and collect them. ;) In addition was some faction system allowing you to perform quests for several factions and get equipment as well as their support when fighting.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 2:59 pm 
Super Moderator

For what I have seen, the game rather failed due to problem with a really bad hit detection. Only reason I didnt play the game. I can't play games that have bad hit detection (example - CoD-WaW - Not terrible, but still bad hit detection imo...)

(02:24:09)
Code:
ChatBot: FatherSpace logs into the Chat.
(02:24:28) Lanaya: Gtfo ken.
(02:24:33) ChatBot: FatherSpace logs out of the Chat.
(02:24:40) Lanaya: Thought so. bitch.
(02:24:44) ChatBot: FatherSpace logs into the Chat.
(02:24:48) FatherSpace: Can I come back yet?
(02:24:51) Lanaya: What'd i say earlier.
(02:24:51) Lanaya: No.
(02:24:58) FatherSpace: Let's try this...
(02:25:01) ChatBot: Lanaya has been logged out (Kicked).
Code:

(14:33:51) 2Pac: Do you know what'S so funny?
(14:34:01) Lanaya: No, please show me.
(14:34:07) 2Pac: This.
(14:34:09) ChatBot: Lanaya has been logged out (Kicked).
(14:34:10) 2Pac:

Code:
(14:35:59) haxorico: No one will belive me if I say "I got this song from 2pac on MSN" lolz ^^
(14:36:02) Lanaya: lolz.
(14:36:16) 2Pac: I AIN'T DEAD FFS.
(14:36:26) 2Pac: I'm a living legend, y'now.
(14:37:17) haxorico: why is 2Pac a legend?
(14:37:28) Lanaya: He's the worse rapper evar.

Code:
(15:42:51) Lanaya: can i suck , . . .

Code:
(13:55:21) ChatBot: 2Pac rolls 1d100 and gets 1.
(13:55:21) ChatBot: haxorico rolls 1d2 and gets 2.
(13:55:27) haxorico: owned?

Code:
GeorgeMots: xplain what happens in SP. Why cant you save?
dast.-:i need play with 2 players

Code:
(21:53:08) (673237): plzplzplz, im sorry about before.
(21:53:26) FatherSpace: I'm sorry you were born.
(21:53:31) ChatBot: (673237) has been logged out (Kicked).

Code:
(10:08:02) Bartimaeus: you do know run I youtube channel for my favorite music, right?

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 4:23 pm 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

...That's...uh...actually because of bad design. Let me guess: you didn't play on the hardest difficulty. Stalker actually has perfect hit detection. Unless you're playing on anything that's not the hardest difficulty. Then a certain percentage of all attacks...do absolutely nothing. I think, on the easiest difficulty, 60% of all attacks act like they're missed, even if you hit them right in the head. Metro 2033, ironically, did a similar system - on easy difficulty, it's actually the hardest because enemies can take so many attacks without dying, (though, like Stalker, the same applies to you).

I always wondered what people were talking about when they said these games had bad "gunplay". Had no idea, since I always play on the hardest difficulty.

I might try it out, Dekar. Sounds like they, (Stalker guys), basically pulled a Peter Molyneux on you.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 5:04 pm 
Super Moderator

I didn't play the game. I usually watch reviews or hear other people talking about games. On GameTrailers they said it was all very very good, besides the fact that the hit-detection was faulty and fucked the entire game for them. I belive they said they were playing on Normal difficulty so what your saying makes sense (sort of, I don't get the idea on having 60% miss for no reason. Is this wc3? a chances for miss? if the crosshair is there and I aimed right. Its a hit. ... that!).

Edit: I was just about to download the game to see for myself if its any good. Seems there are 2 games.
STALKER Call Of Pripyat
Stalker Clear Sky

Which one came first? (If Ill play the game, I might aswell play it in the order it was released).

P.S: Stalker 2 is the 3rd game in the series? I hate this kind of game-naming shits. I mean seriously. I don't care if you get up to 20. Number them correctly.)

Edit #2: LOL @DEKAR! a game from ATARI? :DDDDDDD the last game I think I played from ATARI was maybe - Enter the Matrix - aaa memories.

Code:
Code:

Code:
(14:35:59) haxorico: No one will belive me if I say "I got this song from 2pac on MSN" lolz ^^

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:
(10:08:02) Bartimaeus: you do know run I youtube channel for my favorite music, right?

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 8:18 pm 
Forum Drunk

Bartimaeus wrote:
I might try it out, Dekar. Sounds like they, (Stalker guys), basically pulled a Peter Molyneux on you.

Yeah totally :/ I did like Dungeon Keeper though.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 8:23 pm 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

haxorico wrote:
I didn't play the game. I usually watch reviews or hear other people talking about games. On GameTrailers they said it was all very very good, besides the fact that the hit-detection was faulty and fucked the entire game for them. I belive they said they were playing on Normal difficulty so what your saying makes sense (sort of, I don't get the idea on having 60% miss for no reason. Is this wc3? a chances for miss? if the crosshair is there and I aimed right. Its a hit. ... that!).

Edit: I was just about to download the game to see for myself if its any good. Seems there are 2 games.
STALKER Call Of Pripyat
Stalker Clear Sky

Which one came first? (If Ill play the game, I might aswell play it in the order it was released).

P.S: Stalker 2 is the 3rd game in the series? I hate this kind of game-naming shits. I mean seriously. I don't care if you get up to 20. Number them correctly.)

Edit #2: LOL @DEKAR! a game from ATARI? :DDDDDDD the last game I think I played from ATARI was maybe - Enter the Matrix - aaa memories.

Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, then Call of Pripyat. Clear Sky is a prequel, and then Call of Pripyat is a midquel. Stalker 2 was finally going to be the sequel to Shadow of Chernobyl, the original game.

If you play Shadow of Chernobyl, make sure you install Stalker Complete 2009. And, also, make sure you play on the hardest difficulty...because it's the only difficulty that actually works.

also Molyneux is a terrible person so I guess I understand where your hate comes from lol

PostPosted: December 11th, 2011, 5:44 am 
Super Moderator

Well I played SOC with the 2009 mod thingy. But it works like hell. Even with ALL the settings on LOWEST, it still doens't play smooth (while newer games do on HIGHEST!)
I was trying to do the first mission quitly with a knife, but after over an hour of trial and error I think its imposible so I just shot every one. They all take SO MANY hits. 1 full clip to the chest doesnt kill. But HS's do I just owned them all. Saved some guy. Took a side-quest from him, did that side quest, came back to him for the reward, and he is sleeping. How to wake him up? well by google you can't its a bug that needs to be fixed by ADDING or SETTING ALL the side-quests missions to 10 days. At this point I just had enough and quit the game. It seems like total bullshit game that half of it isn't even working proporly. I might be really harsh on the game. But so many ... ups just on the start? Not to mention the running is fucked up also. I can run forward ONLY, cant run diagnle (like W+A). When I ignore this problems I am having fun killing and looting etc... Found a silenced pistol but the damn bugs keep poping up and just ruin it for me. How did you stand it?

Code:
Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code: