wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: December 13th, 2010, 9:42 am 
Newcomer

I got some feeling about julian-assange and his website( wikileaks )
he is giving information to the world through media.
is there anything wrong ???

what is ur idea?

PostPosted: December 13th, 2010, 10:38 am 
Forum Drunk

I wish him fun in jail :)
I am pro freedom of speech so I think he does the right thing, but it is dangerous for him and he knew who he was toying with. I don't really care about him or the project, I just sympathize with freedom of information. Dunno whether he is a nice person or not.

In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. -Robert Nozick

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 1:25 am 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

I don't feel too strongly either way. Freedom of speech is nice, but I also feel as those some things are better left unknown to the general populace.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 4:21 am 
Forum Drunk

What's your reason to think so? Do you think it is necessary for governments to commit crimes and cover them up?

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 4:47 am 
Super Moderator

It's not crimes, mostly.
Some of it, like what happened to the prisoners and such, was wrong.
Yet, he also leaked things like the "secure" messages between people in the government about what they thought of the other countries. I don't see why the general populace should know about those sort of things. Plus, some countries have said things like that they don't think the information is secure and they don't want to deal with the US.
Also Julian-assange blackmailed the US by saying that this document that was locked and had secret info that he would release the password if he was captured.. Thats not right.
The guy was also captured, but as far as I know, the US is making no move to get him to the US. He's being taken to like Sweeden or something because of some other charge from them completley unrelated to Wikileaks.

I'd agree with Bart.

Offtopic: Should this be moved to News?

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 4:55 am 
Shopping Maul USA Creator

Title: No Comment
I like tattle-tales. They let me know whats going on.

I think the rape charges are also just a deal the US made.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 5:08 am 
Forum Drunk

It's not even rape - it's something that only exists under Swedish law related to condoms. And yeah it totally sounds fishy, I mean why would Interpol have a red notice, even if it was rape? The one Wikileaks leak that stuck in my head was the helicopter shooting civil journalists leak - Concerning that particular one I think it's great it went public, it was a crime covered up by the US military. Also I think everything should be revealed - It's the taxpayers who pay for that so they should be able to see what's going on. I'd understand a delay of maybe up to 10 years, but I really think all the secret stuff should be documented and revealed later.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 5:27 am 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Dekar wrote:
What's your reason to think so? Do you think it is necessary for governments to commit crimes and cover them up?

Essentially what owner said. Crimes SHOULD be revealed. But information that we would normally have no access to should not be. It's not like I want my private conversations known to everyone in the world. It's just none of our business, and doesn't help anyone.

Also what owner said: he uploaded some sort of heavily encrypted file to his website that tons of people downloaded. The password to the file will supposedly be released if anything happens to him or his website, and that the information contained in the file would be similar to a...'thermo-nuclear device'.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 5:38 am 
Forum Drunk

Wasn't that stuff said by his lawyer? I think he corrected it and said it was only data that hasn't been filtered for names etc yet and thus would reveal the identities of people involved unlike prior releases.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 5:42 am 
Tyrannical Drama Queen

On 29 July 2010, WikiLeaks added a 1.4 GB "Insurance File" to the Afghan War Diary page. The file is AES encrypted and has been speculated to serve as insurance in case the WikiLeaks website or its spokesman Julian Assange are incapacitated, upon which the passphrase could be published, similar to the concept of a dead man's switch.[107][108] Following the first few days' release of the US diplomatic cables starting 28 November 2010, the US television broadcaster CBS predicted that "If anything happens to Assange or the website, a key will go out to unlock the files. There would then be no way to stop the information from spreading like wildfire because so many people already have copies."

Wikipedia. Since no hint at all what kind of information would be revealed, I would assume it's what his lawyers were talking about.

(edit) ...except that it was added to the Afghan War Diary page. I guess that's a big hint, but it's not exactly conclusive. [/excuse for lack of observance]