wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 2:12 am 

So I've seen people ask this a bit, and I was one of them doing a bit of the asking myself. Now that I have a fair idea on how to do it, I thought I'd post the info, and hopefully someone will be able to use it.

"How do I retrieve information from a map, so I can edit it or see how it was done?"

Well this is how.

Get a program such as WinMPQ, or MPQMaster, the latter works very well. Open the map, check the required listfiles (Get Dekar's listfile for sure, it helps a lot) and click OK, now the map is open. Than you need to extract the files which have the information you require. The important ones (far as I know) are mostly as follows:

War3map.j - Jass Triggers
War3map.wts - Strings
War3map.w3t - Items
War3map.w3u - Units
War3map.w3b - Destructibles
War3map.w3d - Doodads
War3map.w3a - Abilities
War3map.w3h - Buffs/Effects
War3map.w?? - Upgrades

I don't remember which one has the information for Upgrades.

After that, you will need to open WE, and make a new map. On the main screen you can go to 'file' and import strings (which I think you should do first) and than open the Objects Module, for each section (units, items, abilities, etc) you can go to 'file' and import the required files, and thusly load the information into the new map. As well, if you have all the files (you need upgrades, too, I think, but you don't need war3map.j) You can than (after importing them all) save and extract full object data, containing the information of all those different files. I hope this will be of some help.