The HARDEST protection to crack

General discussion of Warcraft 3. Threads may may be posted here if they don't fit into the other sections.

Moderator: Cheaters

legendz411

The HARDEST protection to crack

Post by legendz411 »

Asking what the BEST protection method, on a forum full of people who specialize in breaking protection, is dumb.

So here is this question for all the map makers who think like me.

What is the hardest protection any of you crackers have run into. Why was it hard, do you think?

<3 good questions.
Xantan
Honorary wc3edit.net Traitor

Re: The HARDEST protection to crack

Post by Xantan »

elimination tournament had some awful weird protection that I never did look into... but it was quite easy to bypass...

I didn't really ever run into something I couldn't fix, though some maps did take longer than others...
ehm hardest for me was simply hash codes for entered chat strings, those just take forever if I need to know whats being said...
weirdone2
Forum Staff

Post by weirdone2 »

Heavy encrpytion + multiple checks = barely anyone will bother with your map.
Draike
Title: The Guide From Hell

Post by Draike »

How would you do this?
Eh I changed Accounts On USEast find me under [haven't made a new acc yet] I'll make new maps soon.
nevo
Old Wrinkly Member
Title: Nevo

Post by nevo »

Hmm, this is interesting. Does someone know how to make a guide to protect your map this way? If not, then its okay. :D
My Favorite Rule:
- No excessive BBCode, (colors, flashing text, spoilers, etc.), using; don't use it for every single word you're typing, only use it make a word(s) stand out.
Draike
Title: The Guide From Hell

Post by Draike »

Lol same thing i asked but you said it differently and the answer to your question might be more helpful than the answer to my question
Eh I changed Accounts On USEast find me under [haven't made a new acc yet] I'll make new maps soon.
Dekar
Forum Drunk

Post by Dekar »

hash codes are checksums for additional security,
something like...
if you got your gold... for example 1829 gold then you
just use simple addition... 1+8 = 9... 9 + 2 = 11... 11 + 9 = 20! (which is named Digit sum)
then you save this digit sum and if someone changes the gold amount you can see that the
digit sum doesn't fits to the gold amount (in most cases) and kick this cheater ;)
so just be creative, using the digit sum isn't a really hard protection, but it
would prevent us from simply inserting a multicheat-pack :)
Don't pm me with Warcraft questions, this is a forum so just make a post!

In the world of thinking we are all immigrants. -Robert Nozick
legendz411

Post by legendz411 »

Dekar wrote:hash codes are checksums for additional security,
... so just be creative,...
it would prevent us from simply inserting a multicheat-pack :)

There is the hardest protection.

By eliminating the ability to insert hackpacks into maps, you negate (probably) the better 2/3 of the people of hack maps on here.

There is no *BEST* protection, as there is ALWAYS someone who is just as smart and talented, if not more so, then you.

...But you can always make it so difficult that the rewards are not worth the effort :D

off-topic
Thanks for all the posts. I just opened this sub-forum one day and saw quite a few of these types of threads. They were all asking the wrong question, so I figured I'd help them out. :wink:
/off-topic
Aero
Forum Staff
Title: JASS Programmer

Post by Aero »

Hum...the hardest protection to crack...

Well, making a -setddscore xxxx for Dark Deeds 6 was probably the most time-consuming.

Some tips if you're really bent on anti-cheat:

---Store key words in variables which are constructed using SubStrings. In DD6, "DDScore" was created using "D"+"D"+"S"+"c"...ect.
This prevents easy searching for strings in .wts/.j

---When referencing arrays, use an expression. Array[10] is now Array[5*2] or Array[2+8].
This is the same idea as using SubStrings to create strings. Causes extra hassle.

---Store important integers into string variables using I2S. This prevents the noob method of a cheat that makes ALL integers to a specified number.

---Admin passwords should be recognized using Blizzards integer system, String2Rawcode or integer overflowing. This method is by far one of the best and most unknown. Using this method can make passwords near undecipherable. Unless it was critical to me, I wouldn't even try to touch this. (If you would like this in your map, send me the unprotected and the desired password and I'll implement it for you--Don't ask for this system)

These are just a few goodies that I've encountered. The best methods of protection are not optimization tools but rather the internal clockwork of the map. I'll update this post with more methods later on, but these are the ones that come in my head at the moment.
nevo
Old Wrinkly Member
Title: Nevo

Post by nevo »

I know this is a old topic but you know, you can always ask someone who works at blizzard to help you out. If you think about it, someone there might help you protect the map. You never know.... (just an idea).
My Favorite Rule:
- No excessive BBCode, (colors, flashing text, spoilers, etc.), using; don't use it for every single word you're typing, only use it make a word(s) stand out.