wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 1:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Battle.net 2.0
PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 6:44 am 
Forum Staff

After reading this, a doubt appeared for Starcraft II, for those of you actually on 2.0, should I don't click me sc2?

I'm the type that prefers to play games with friends.

Oh, I also emailed blizzard saying I'm not buying their product because 2.0 was a huge screw-up, and I got like 5 replies from Customer Support / GameMasters, one of the GM's said they are legally restricted from accepting propositions via email. Uh, yeah, so basically the US Govt decided to create some dumb law saying corporations can't accept ideas from customers from email? That's real useful.

Post subject: Re: Battle.net 2.0
PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 10:08 am 
Forum Staff

No chatrooms.

/thread

EDIT: Read this
Spoiler:
There are many Europeans that have loads of American friends, and have a problem finding matches with Americans. I know you've already promised to bridge this divide...

[Bob Colayco: That's not the case.]

No, it'll be structured very similarly to World of Warcraft, where you've got the European region and players matched against the other players within their region.

[BC: We haven't promised anything like that. That's something we'll look into, but I just wanted to jump in and clarify that.]

But you're not excluding the possibility – you're just saying there are no current plans for it?

There are no current plans for it, and if you're a European player and you've got friends that are in another region that you want to be able to connect with, we definitely want to support that. It might mean that you have to access it through the US client, but those facilities will definitely be available in terms of, if you want the US client, go to the US website, download the US client.

So I can use my same account?

No.

So I need to don't click me two clients, that's what you're saying?

Yeah.

But I can have two of them in my Battle.net account?

You'd have an EU Battle.net account, and a US Battle.net account.

And that wouldn't be against the Terms of Service or End User License Agreement?

No. I'm pretty sure that's not against the TOS or EULA, but you'd be subject to the terms of the EULA for the region in which you're playing.

Another thing I thought you'd promised was chat rooms within Battle.net...

Nope. No plans for specific chat rooms at this time. You'll be able to open up chats direct with your friends, and when we add clans and groups there'll be chats for your clans and groups, but no specific plans for chat rooms right now. Do you really want chat rooms?

Loads of people within the community are wanting Looking For Group chat rooms, and that sort of thing.

Well, if we've done our job right in terms of the matchmaking service, then hopefully they won't feel like they'll need it for that service.

With the whole divide thing, though, Australians have ended up with the south-east Asia region. They've been wondering why you'd choose to do that, as obviously there'll be primarily non-English people playing with them.

That's an interesting challenge for us, because we want to make sure that the connectivity to the servers is such that the game experience is not impacted by a high-latency connection, and the latency between Australia and New Zealand to the servers in the US was such that we felt we would be able to deliver a better gaming experience by using their servers in south-east Asia.

You guys aren't the first people to do this, as this has happened recently with another game. Generally, this seems to be the problem with the Australasian reason. Is that across the board? Do you think that's the reason?

I can't speak on behalf of any other game developers, but definitely for us. A high-latency connection to the servers for StarCraft 2 is going to impact the game experience.

Is there going to be any kind of work to resolve that issue, to get them onto an English-speaking server of some description?

You know, it depends on the technology infrastructure provided by the telecommunications providers. It's something that we'll be constantly evaluating and looking at. In an ideal world, the Blizzard gaming community would be unified in one global region, but the technology's just not there yet. Ten years ago, we weren't making 3D games. Hopefully, in the same way that we're making 3D games today and we weren't ten years ago, down the road the connectivity in terms of the internet will be such that we can bring everyone together in a unified community, but it's just not possible right now. That's the ideal world.

[BC: The other thing is that the Asian players are playing on an English client, so they should be able to speak enough English to communicate a "gg" or "attack now," "help." Singapore is an English speaking country, the Philippines is an English-speaking country...]

Hong Kong.

[BC: It's not like it's going to be one Australian surrounded by 500,000 Thai people. There's going to be plain English spoken.]

Plus, isn't StarCraft 2 the universal language of RTSes? How much English do you need to speak to communicate with your opponent and kick his ass? [Laughs]

PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 1:18 pm 
Forum Staff

Well, either the person "In Charge" of StarCraft II is a complete dumbass, or he's not even doing anything.

Chatting with legion/friends is half of what their damn RTS is about, if they didn't have that, or custom games, I never would've touched any of their games.

Oh well, maybe they'll see they're losing money along the way and change that.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 1:20 pm 
Grammar King

Title: Worst human for 4eva
Isn't Battle.net hosted in Korea? If so, it's not the US Gov's fault.

(20:53:52) Bartimaeus: Thank you, Jen.
(20:53:56) Bartimaeus: Truly, you are wise.

Quote:
(23:44:12) Bartimaeus: I was in pubic school until middle school...

Learn how to extract and read RAW Codes here!

Need help? Click here and ask your question!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 1:52 pm 
Forum Staff

Oh, well I just assumed it was the US because, well, you know.

Wait, I don't see why having the location of the server would affect this. Blizzard is a US company I think.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 3:24 pm 
Grammar King

Title: Worst human for 4eva
Well, they would have to follow the laws of the place. I was just pointing it out since US doesn't have a law that states you can't take suggestions from customers.

(20:53:52) Bartimaeus: Thank you, Jen.
(20:53:56) Bartimaeus: Truly, you are wise.

Quote:
(23:44:12) Bartimaeus: I was in pubic school until middle school...

Learn how to extract and read RAW Codes here!

Need help? Click here and ask your question!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 3:30 pm 
Super Moderator

Yes, it doesn't have chat rooms, but you can invite your friends to a chat room and make one.
They're not exactly like chat channels in WC3, but I think theyre fine.