wc3edit.net

United Warcraft 3 map hacking!
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: February 19th, 2020, 4:10 am 
Newcomer

Hey, so i'm looking for a way to replace the old models for the new proper looking models. Now, i am no computer wizard but i have done a bit of digging around. as far as it stands im un able to open poke world 9,1 or 7.6 in my map editor.. what can i do?

I have the models, i should probably add this in here,

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2020, 4:19 am 
Super Moderator

You won't be able to open them in the map editor because the map is likely protected.

What you need to do is open up the WC3 Archive in an MPQ Editor. Opening it up like this exposes the inner files of the map that WC3 reads in order to play the map. If you use a large listfile, you'll probably have all the Pokemon models in that listfile. From there, you can import your models to the MPQ Archive and replace the old models (make sure to use the same name). The objects linking to those should use the replaced models.

If you want to get started, look around the Useful Tools section for an mpq editor and a listfile. Good luck!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 1:01 am 
Newcomer

Thank you for the support. I had some issuses at first, alot of trial and errors but now ive found a way to open the map up in the editor. Long story short ive found a de protected version of the map i was trying to alter. Ive got the models all switched out and so on. as far as the map goes its missing two lines of triggers.

So if i open up the new map in the MQL Editor i should be able to extract the listfile and add it to say the desktop. then open up the old protected map in the MQL and import(?) the new listfile?

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 3:13 am 
Super Moderator

Not exactly. The listfile is just a list of files that are inside the MPQ Archive.

When you import resources into a WC3 map, they get added into the MPQ Archive of that map. Think of an MPQ kind of like a zip file - it's a file that contains other files. We need a listfile to open and modify MPQs. I wouldn't do too much with the deprotected map. Deprotection is much less useful than people imagine. In fact, I can't think of any scenario where deprotection is useful or important aside from grabbing the terrain - and I know the irony of stating this when I made a deprotection tutorial. But for real, when you learn how to directly edit the MPQ Archive files, you will never go back to deprotection. The first step is to stop thinking of a WC3 map as a "game" and start thinking of it as a collection of files that WC3 understands. It's better to grab a file from the collection of files, edit it, and put it back in than to go through the hassle of making the WC3 World Editor interpret the collection of files again, that's just another step.

This is what I would do if I were you:
1) Open the map in an MPQ Editor and extract "war3map.w3u". This file contains your unit data.
2) Open the WC3 World Editor and make a new map. Go to the Object Editor and import your war3map.w3u that you extracted.
3) Find your desired units you want to switch over. Change their model to the filename of the model that you have (but don't import the model yet)
4) In the WC3 World Editor, use the "Export Units" feature. It will create a file called war3map.w3u for you. Save this file to your computer.
5) Open the protected map in your MPQ Editor again. IMPORT your new war3map.w3u to the MPQ Archive (overwrite the existing one)
6) Import your models to the base directory of the MPQ Archive

That should do it.
Let me know if you need more details. I'm considering making a tutorial series on how to do things like this. It's not hard, but there's quite the learning curve to getting started in the world of map editing.