Issues after trying to modify a map :s

General talk about editing, cheating, and deprotecting maps.

Moderator: Cheaters

Kakerate
Newcomer

Issues after trying to modify a map :s

Post by Kakerate »

I'm new to editing protected maps for warcraft. xD However, this website has alot of useful guides that helped me through my test run. The thing is, when I extracted the warcraft units file of the map, put it on a new map, added some units, and replaced it back in the map, all of the text was gone. The text for all the units and items had just dissapeared. Can someone help me on this? Thanks. Also, if you know where some more starter posts are for changing maps, that'd be helpful ^^
Bartimaeus
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Re: Issues after trying to modify a map :s

Post by Bartimaeus »

Depending upon the editor, the strings, (the text messages), might have been outsourced to another file, (possibly the .wts, or some sort of SILK file). Use MPQEditor to do a search within the files for a partial match of a string to see what file it went to.
Kakerate
Newcomer

Post by Kakerate »

So what do I do to fix this? Where is all text for the map supposed to be at?

*edit* Maybe I should also mention that the text in the .wts is fine, it shows those messages when the map triggers say to do so. It is like descriptions on units and their titles, stuff like that.
Bartimaeus
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Post by Bartimaeus »

I already told you what to do.

Bartimaeus wrote:Use MPQEditor to do a search within the files for a partial match of a string to see what file it went to.
Kakerate
Newcomer

Post by Kakerate »

Sorry, I should've worded myself better. Once I find which file it went to, then what?

When I imported the new units/items data, it asked if I wanted to overwrite the current file of that name and i accepted. However, after I saved and reopened in in MPQ , it seems they have been imported as File000000013, File 0000000014, etc.
Bartimaeus
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Post by Bartimaeus »

Depends on a few things. Can't really tell you without seeing the maps myself. If the original map doesn't have the file that they went to, you can probably just add said file where the strings are contained to the MPQ and it should probably work. If it does have the file, you'd probably have to merge the new and the old version. Maybe. Like I said, hard to tell without actually seeing it myself.

How did you determine that the "filexxx"s were the files your imported?
Vegas
Shopping Maul USA Creator
Title: No Comment

Post by Vegas »

I believe you would have to export everything that has to do with the WTS file from Map A(original) to Map B(to edit). So the Units, spells, Abilities ETC. When you are done, export them back to Map A.

You could also make a new map, then import EVERYTHING into the new map, including the triggers in JASS format. This way, you can open the complete map in World Editor, edit, then save.

It's been a LONG time since I had to deprotect and restore a map, but I think these methods were how I did it.

@BART. I don't think a merge would work. Just editing ONE thing in a unit or ability, and the whole WTS file will change the string numbers and won't correspond to the original units.
Bartimaeus
Tyrannical Drama Queen

Post by Bartimaeus »

Vegas wrote:I believe you would have to export everything that has to do with the WTS file from Map A(original) to Map B(to edit). So the Units, spells, Abilities ETC. When you are done, export them back to Map A.

You could also make a new map, then import EVERYTHING into the new map, including the triggers in JASS format. This way, you can open the complete map in World Editor, edit, then save.

It's been a LONG time since I had to deprotect and restore a map, but I think these methods were how I did it.

@BART. I don't think a merge would work. Just editing ONE thing in a unit or ability, and the whole WTS file will change the string numbers and won't correspond to the original units.

If it actually went to the .wts, then yes, I agree - what happens depends on what World Editor version you're using, (regular, JassNewGen, Ultimate...). Like I said, I'd need to see maps to say exactly what to do at this point. Your solution - importing ALL of the object data, regardless of the type - and saving then would've been my next step if they were unmergeable due to overlapping string references. It's just a little bit more work than if you could just import an extra file or two.
Vegas
Shopping Maul USA Creator
Title: No Comment

Post by Vegas »

It would be quicker to import all the files than replying to this topic.

:P
Kakerate
Newcomer

Post by Kakerate »

Sorry for not having replied back to this in awhile. I started using Newgen, and I can send you the map if you want. Well, I didn't 100% that the FileXXX was what I imported but I assumed so because it looked like the strings file of a map. It may have been the one originally in the map, not for sure.